how to restore teak veneer table

Old 09-15-12, 10:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to restore teak veneer table

I've just got a great deal on a 40 year old teak dining set but it has definitely seen better days. There's some pretty serious wear that I want to get rid of, but I'm a novice when it comes to wood restoration. There are two pretty bad black rings and several white water rings on the veneer table top as well as some just some general blushing and discoloration. The extendable leaves on either side look great. I've been reading that I need to use caution when sanding teak veneer, but I'm afraid that simply oiling the table top will not clear the damage. I'm feeling kind of nervous about doing what is right for this particular table. What is recommended to bring this table back to it's former glory?

Old 09-16-12, 08:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The problem with veneer is it's really thin and therefore easy to sand completely through. I would start by trying to bleach out the stains with oxalic acid.

Old 09-17-12, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
..... and limit the sanding to 180 or 220 grit sandpaper. I don't think I've ever worked with teak but veneers in general are thin and once you go thru the veneer

Old 09-17-12, 04:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hmm. The white rings sound like they should be easy to fix. I'm guessing the table has been covered in a ton of wax over the years. Those rings would be water trapped beneath the wax. The black I'm not so sure about. Sounds like a glass that sat in the same spot for a very long time and reacted with the wood itself. That black ring might go all the way through the veneer. I would use a card scraper to slowly remove wood from that area while keeping an eye on how deep I am going. You can do the same by hand sanding. If there isn't immediate improvement, you should stop. You may also only be able to improve the damage and not remove all of it. Pictures of the damage would be awesome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: