Advice needed on decorating 4x4 support posts

Old 10-06-12, 01:23 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on decorating 4x4 support posts

Hi all,

The upper floor of my home was added around 1980. There is a small walkway overlooking the stairs with what will be iron balusters and wood railings stained a dark mahogany to match the new wood trim around the house. There are three 4"x4" posts which I'm told are support (otherwise I'd just remove them). The posts are currently wrapped in inexpensive wood trim, which I plan to remove.

Any ideas on what to do with these posts? Paint? Laminate? More wood trim (mitered, squared, etc.)? Thanks for any advice!

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-12, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Wrap them with the same wood you will be using in the remainder of the house. Yes they are supportive and must remain in place.

Old 10-22-12, 12:46 PM
R
Thanks for the reply Chandler (and sorry for my late one, I've been out of town).

Would you simply miter the corners? Or is there a better way to get the wood around without obvious seams?

Old 10-22-12, 02:15 PM
Depends on how good your saw is and how good you are regarding the mitering. I would have no problem on my Delta shop saw with run off table, etc., but not on my jobsite saw. Just a big difference in saws. Personally I would overlap like the ones you have now.

Old 10-22-12, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've stained/painted wood done both ways and IMO what you have now looks better than a poorly done miter. Also if mitered, you need to glue it well so it doesn't separate over time. Any excess glue must be removed or it will affect the ability of the wood to take stain.

Old 10-22-12, 02:33 PM
One more point.....leave them like they are. They match the doors and don't look to be in that bad of shape. Nothing a little sanding and touch up wouldn't fix.

Old 10-22-12, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Larry, if I understood his first post correctly, he plans to replace the wood trim and stain everything a dark mahogany.

Old 10-22-12, 06:46 PM
Mark, replacing the trim and staining it is one thing. What will happen to the doors. Would it be possible to stain the doors and these columns to match the mahogany. I just think these columns look good from a wood standpoint, and if they could be salvaged, it may be good.

Old 10-22-12, 06:59 PM
R
Thanks for the help, guys.

All of the existing wood (trim, doors, etc) will eventually be replaced. It's all fairly cheap in cost and quality. The doors will likely be the last to go in.

I appreciate the advice about the miter — I'm not convinced my table saw is up to the task — but I'm not crazy about the look of the square cut. Any other options you are aware of to make a smoother look?

Old 10-22-12, 08:04 PM
H
There are other joint options.
Groove and rebate joint,
Finger joint, lots of work, but would look awesome.
Half lap joint.

Have you considered routing the edge?

Another option, seeing as how this is purely decorative, make 4 corner posts with dados on each side. Cut some 1/4" to span the distance between each corner post. Similar to a cabinet panel with a solid outer frame and ply inner piece.

OR buy 4 wood corner trim pieces and put them on teh outside of each corner. They will hide the joint, and you could give the mitered joint a shot, if it doesnt work hide it with the corner trim.

If you do the mitered corner, do a splined version.

All depends on how much work you want to do.

There is always the biscuit butt joint.

Old 10-23-12, 01:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Get some real wood veneer and re-wrap the existing columns and stain them to match your new woodwork. You will get rid of the lap joint, it will look 100 times better than a miter and it comes in multiple species of wood. I would recommend using an aggressive adhesive similar to the kind they use in laminate countertops and not rubber cement.

Veneering wood is fairly straight forward, but if you need a hand, we look forward to future posts seeking guidance. Oh, and send us some pictures of the finished product

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: