Wood Veneer or Something Else?

Old 11-09-12, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wood Veneer or Something Else?

Hi all. I want to paint my kitchen cabinets. In one hidden section there's veneer peeling up and it looks like MDF underneath. I read the threads here saying you can paint wood veneer.

Then I saw someone mention something called photo wood grain veneer that's more like contact paper and that you can't do much to it. How can I tell if the veneer on my cabinets is a layer of actual wood or if it's whatever that other stuff is?

The part that's peeling off, it feels hard and it's maybe 1/16 of an inch thick, maybe thicker, so does that mean it's wood and not the other stuff that I guess is more like contact paper made to look like wood?

This is what my cabinets look like but I don't know if it helps. They feel smooth, not like they have any kind of texture.

Name:  cabinet.jpg
Views: 14673
Size:  28.1 KB

Also, when I looked at the backside of the doors of the cabinets, this is what they looked like. Is that a different material all together or is that speckled paint or something?

Name:  backside.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  14.5 KB

I don't want to do anything fancy to the cabinet face, just paint over it. The inside of the doors, I guess I could leave alone.

Last edited by cyberphonics; 11-09-12 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-12, 01:15 PM
How about a picture of the edge of the cabinet. The doors appear to be made from plywood. I am guessing that the wood grain on the front is plastic laminate. Should be easier to tell from the side.A shot of the peeling area would be the best. Wood veneer would break easily and create splinters.

Old 11-09-12, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It sounds like veneer that you have, the other stuff is basically wood patterned printed piece of paper. Not sure what the doors are made of, can you get a profile of the edge of the door of a shot up at the bottom edge of the cabinet body.

Old 11-09-12, 01:50 PM
Sure thing, I'll take the shots you guys suggested and post them once I get back home.

Old 11-14-12, 11:02 AM
Better Pictures

Here's where the surface is lifting up, the edge of the doors, and the inside of the cabinets.

Name:  side.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  edge.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  inside.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  13.7 KB

Here's what the cabinet looks like from the bottom.

Name:  bottom.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  11.8 KB

I'm guessing that's wood veneer since it looks like wood on the edge? If so, I'm going to follow the methods in the sticky topic about cabinets to get a good finish on it though what should I use to glue that lifted piece of veneer back down?

Also, whatever that crackley stuff is on the backside of the doors and on the underside of the cabinets, I'm guess that's peeling paint or is that something else?

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-12, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Looks like wood veneer to me. Contact cement is what I would use to tack this back down.

Old 11-14-12, 11:33 AM
Okay great! I guess I can scrape the rest of that stuff off. Even though it's only on the cabinet bottoms and the back of the doors, it looks terrible and is peeling a little, ha. Thanks!

Old 11-14-12, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I wouldn't take the veneer off unless you intend to replace it. It would be best to glue it back down like Mitch suggested. If you still want to paint the cabinets it would be best to first coat them with a solvent based primer. Waterborne and oil base enamels wear the best although white oil base enamel will yellow over time. Latex enamel would be my last choice although there is a big difference between the cheap latex enamel and the top of the line latex enamel.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...t-repaint.html

Old 11-14-12, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
I think it's a photographic finish ON a veneer. Irregardless, you want to glue it back down. I'd follow mitch's advice and suggest you get some contact adhesive in one of those little jars that comes with a brush on the lid. Lift any loose veneer and brush the adhesive on both surfaces, then keep those surfaces apart (stick something between them to keep them apart... a toothpick or whatever) for 15 minutes or so until the contact adhesive seems dry. Then just press them together and you should be all set.

Old 11-14-12, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean the veneer, I meant I'd scrape off the stuff on the bottom of the cabinets and on the back of the door that looks like peeling paint. I already have the cabinet repaint sticky thread printed out but thanks for posting it again! I'm definitely cementing that one piece back down first and then refinishing the cabinets. Thanks all!

Old 11-14-12, 05:15 PM
That looks like formica to me. Appears to be a reface job of builder made cabinets.

Old 11-14-12, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
I think ur right Andrew! If so, Marksr's suggestion about the oil primer is a must!

Old 11-15-12, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If it's other than a wood veneer it would be best to use a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN for the primer.

Old 11-15-12, 09:30 AM
Thanks all for the feedback! I'll be bugging everyone around the site likely since this is all about my new place that I'll be fixing up. I'll take the suggestions with me when I go to the paint store and I'll let everyone know how it goes.