Looking for decent but inexpensive cabinets

Old 02-27-13, 07:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for decent but inexpensive cabinets

Hey Guys,

Putting back together my sandy damaged home and Im looking for some suggestions as to where i can find some decent wood cabinets but that arent a ton of money. I have seen a few websites but its hard to tell if they are decent or IKEA grade cabinets. Can anyone suggest a website they have used? Thanks!

Old 02-27-13, 07:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Habitat for Humanity has stores where people can donate cabinets and such and then the re-sale proceeds benefit the charity. Sometimes it's used stuff someone took out of their house but sometimes it can be brand new stuff which didn't get installed due to a change of mind or ordering mistake.

Old 02-27-13, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I've become an Ikea fan in the last few years, and maybe you're thinking of their stuff in the past, but their cabinets (and other things for that matter) are pretty decent now.

Old 02-27-13, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Depending on your skill set you might consider building them yourself. I built my kitchen cabinets [no particle board] and was able to get good quality at a price equal or less than the typical cheap box cabinet.

Old 02-27-13, 11:27 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What did you use for guidance? Did you get plans somewhere? What about doors? and Veneer? Can you offer some more insight into your project?

Old 02-27-13, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I had some old site built cabinets given to me shortly before I remodeled the kitchen. Studying them helped me some with the method of construction. Basically I built cabinets to fit the spaces I had to put them. The frame was built out of 1x2s and 2x2s. The fronts were solid wood but the sides and shelves were plywood. The doors had a solid wood frame with a plywood insert. I took 1x3s with a rabbit on the inside to accept the 1/4" plywood and used the router to give the front edges of the 1x3 a nice look. The frame was built something like a picture frame using biscuits and glue to hold the miters together.

Old 02-28-13, 06:08 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Cabinet Face Frame

Mark is right on. Another way to join the rails and stiles of the face frame is by using pocket screws. Kreg makes an inexpensive tool kit for drilling the pocket holes and driving the screws. Come back with more questions.

Old 02-28-13, 09:39 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Ordering cabinets online can be both iffy and expensive. For ready-made cabinets, in addition to the recycling centers that Mitch suggested, I'll just add a second voice to Shade's support of IKEA.

We have friends who moved a couple of years ago for the husband's work. The wife, who is a professional-level baker, had told me a year or two before that that if she ever had the opportunity to do a kitchen the way she wanted to, all of the cabinets would come from IKEA. Her new kitchen is that reality and the cabinets are some of the best I've seen in every respect: design, materials, craftsmanship, function - you name it.

Short of getting custom cases from a company like Crown Point or a local cabinet shop, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: