Should chair rail wrap into window opening?

Old 04-14-13, 03:23 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool Should chair rail wrap into window opening?

Our house has recessed window openings (about 3" deep) without molding. The windowsill is lower than the chair rail, should the chair rail...
  1. wrap into the window opening fully and butt to the window itself,
  2. wrap partially into the window opening (how far?) and then butt to the wall, or
  3. butt to the wall without entering the window opening?

Here's what it looks like, the chair rail will be just above where the green stops (the yellow is being repainted now, too)...

Name:  IMG_0384.jpg
Views: 8030
Size:  26.0 KB

Old 04-14-13, 03:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Use a mitered end cut on the chair rail and end it just shy of the corner. Is it one part or two part chair? (just curious). Also take into account any window dressings you will eventually use to make sure your chair rail does not interfere with proper movement or functionality.

Old 04-14-13, 03:45 PM
J
It is one part. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-14-13, 04:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The windowsill is lower than the chair rail,
How high is the windowsill and how high are you mounting the chair rail? Chair rail is often run at the same height as the windowsill.

Old 04-14-13, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
A mitered end cut, as Czizzi mentioned, is also called a "return". It's exactly the same thing as turning the corner and going back to the window, but you do it before you get to the corner bead, and the "return" piece is just a little triangle that caps the end of the miter.

You can do a 1 piece return (two 45 angles) or a 2 piece return (four 22.5 angles) to turn that corner and cap the end of your trim.

There's about 6 photos here, if it helps you picture it.

Old 04-14-13, 04:24 PM
J
The windowsill is at 25".

Old 04-14-13, 05:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The windowsill is at 25".
That sounds like a classic chair rail height. You could run it continuous with the sills.

Old 04-14-13, 05:48 PM
J
I'm not really a classic guy. :-) Besides, I've already painted! Our house is contemporary/current style.

Old 04-15-13, 05:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
take into account any window dressings you will eventually use to make sure your chair rail does not interfere with proper movement or functionality.
That should be the deciding factor! As a painter, I think it looks best if the chairrail covers all of the transition from one color to the other BUT that would interfere with most window coverings. That means you either have to draw a straight line to end one color and start the other or paint the window return one color or the other. Another option would be to case the window in with wood and and have the chair rail end at the edge of the casing - IMO that would look best.

Old 04-15-13, 08:03 AM
J
As a painter, I think it looks best if the chairrail covers all of the transition from one color to the other...
I agree. Would it be "wrong" of me to do something like this...

I feel like wrapping it into the window opening kind of "completes" the transition. This would also leave room for the blinds and for the window to fold inward for cleaning.

Old 04-15-13, 12:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
As long as it doesn't interfere with the window covering/treatment it should be fine. I like the fact that it minimizes the area that you have to draw a straight line between the two colors.

btw - there really isn't any right or wrong way to detail your house although some styles will appeal to more people than others...... but I'd be shocked if this chair rail would have any negative affect on resale.

Old 04-15-13, 12:27 PM
J
Thanks. IMO the pic I posted would look best in this room (and allow for full operation of all window features). I think I'll go with this unless someone else thinks it's a bad idea (and if I agree).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: