Outside corner framing in basement

Old 04-17-13, 10:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside corner framing in basement

Good morning - I have a quick question. I have a finished basement and we are going to be installing a theater screen, etc in the main family room. The wall that the screen will be located on is not quite wide enough because of an angled corner leading into the hallway. We will be rebuilding that wall to square it off, giving us an additional 3 or 4 feet to work with.

Since the wall is drywalled, I am not sure what to expect to see when we open it up. We cannot rebuilt both sides of the wall entirely because that angled portion is the interior of a bedroom on the other side. We basically will be 'closing off' that angle.

Here is a picture.

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 5421
Size:  10.4 KB

The red portion is what we will need to build. What would be the best way to connect the new frame to the existing frame since the connecting point will have an angle?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-13, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
All you need to do is find the first stud that is "straight" with the remaining wall, and cut the drywall back to the center of that stud (on the outside corner only... not the inside corner) But it will be the same stud that forms the inside corner. That will give you a surface to attach your drywall to. Your bottom plate and top plate are easy enough, they will probably just be cut at a 45° that you will just butt it up to the existing framing (obviously remove the drywall and corner bead first between the 2 corners.)

It's usually best if you continue a 16" on center layout... so find where the studs are in those existing side walls... and once you establish the pattern of 16" OC, continue that pattern on your new top and bottom plate.

If you want to add some framing to tie the new to the old that's fine. Easy way to do it is to run a 2x4 through a table saw on a 45°, cutting an angle on just one side- the one that matters. Or if you want to be picky you can cut one out of a 2x6 that has an angle on BOTH sides.

Old 04-17-13, 07:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You might not have to open the wall. Can you post a regular pic of the wall?

Old 04-18-13, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good advice so far. One observation. That wall was built at an angle for a reason. Who knows why? It is possible a plumbing chase or something else. Pull sheetrock to see what is behind it, then proceed.

Old 04-18-13, 05:21 PM
J
I remember when we built the place that there is nothing in there. I think I have some pictures of the framing somewhere around here.

The switch I put in and is simply a switch to the outlet I positioned for the screen. This way I could raise/lower the screen using the switch. That will be relocated.

I know these arent the best quality, but hope they help!
Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  17.9 KB
Name:  CIMG0046.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 04-19-13, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good pix. I see no problem recovering the space you lost by the corner. It will reduce the hallway, but it may be secondary to the space you need in the theater area. Make sure your wiring is long enough to move the switch and receptacle, or you may need to move their final location to accommodate that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: