Re-covering formica with wood veneer

Old 06-22-13, 08:58 AM
Re-covering formica with wood veneer

I was looking into how to update the look of these shelves without replacing them -

I found this - how-to-cover-laminate-with-wood-veneer
But was wondering if it's as easy as it looks - or if I needed to hire someone to do it?
Other ideas welcome!

The sad thing is if they had just painted the wood white like the rest of the cabinet - it would be fine.

Can the laminate just be peeled and shelves sanded and painted? That's another option... I also have formica in bathrooms that has to go as well however.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure I know what you want - you want it all white or you want to cover the white with wood veneer?

Old 06-22-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
I'm a little confused about which shelves you're referring to; the large tan-looking ones or the upper shelves? The upper shelves look white.

No, peeling the laminate would not be a choice; the base material is likely particle board.

If it's the larger, tan shelves we're talking about, I'm not sure veneering would be an option unless they can be removed; trying to veneer them in place would be a nightmare.

FWIW, I don't think the color combination looks bad.

Old 06-22-13, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Hi, Mitch; glad you're confused, too, so it's not me having a senior moment.

Old 06-22-13, 09:45 AM
Sorry for the confusion - the only laminate in the photo are the 5 shelves that are tan color - One Under the TV - 3 center (bottom) - one right (bottom)

I want to get rid of it - with something else. Wood veneer - new shelves - or strip and paint. Almost anything that doesn't look like it came from the 60s-70s. :-)

Like I said if they had left it white like the rest it would have been fine.

Thanks for the replies!