Mounting a large TV wall unit

Old 07-19-13, 06:33 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting a large TV wall unit

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum, but there were just so many to choose from I wasn't sure where to put this. I am a new homeowner just trying to learn as much as I can along the way. I recently bought a large TV wall unit off Craigslist for cheap. I guess I hadn't planned it through all the way, but decided it would look much better mounted up a bit. It didn't come with any hardware but it was mentioned that it could be mounted when I bought it. It is at least 80lbs of bamboo. Any recommendations on how you would mount this to the wall? Any advice appreciated. Here are some pictures.

Old 07-19-13, 07:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess it's made to mount it flush to the wall but there are 2 problems. One is the routing of the wires & the other is, you can't tilt it to a desired angle. A well made TV wall bracket will handle the 80 lbs & solve the 2 problems that I mentioned. I guess some type of furring strips would work too. Either way is going to take a little ingenuity.

Old 07-20-13, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would install french cleats across the top and bottom of the unit and allow it to sit on them, then fasten through the cleats. This will allow you to route wiring behind it. It appears the unit is 48+" wide, so you have 4 studs you can mount your cleats to, which would be more than adequate, IMO.

Don't laugh at my drawing:

Name:  french cleat.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  7.1 KB

Old 07-20-13, 09:16 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That looks to be closer 6' wide. How thick is the back?

Old 07-20-13, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,147 Upvotes on 3,724 Posts
Question

Are you sure it should be hanging..... It looks like it may be just a floor unit.

Meaning that the back is not strong enough to hang the unit by.

Old 07-20-13, 12:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I didn't question the fact that it was or not a hangable unit. Good points. It may hang, but gravity will pull the rest of it apart if it isn't meant to hang. Hey, I gots some concrete blocks from a 1966 shelf unit I had in College

Seriously, it may need another furniture part under it if you plan on elevating the TV plane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: