Glue for cabinet skins?


Old 08-24-13, 10:34 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue for cabinet skins?

What type of glue is recommended for gluing cabinet skins to a photo finish end panel? The skin has a plywood back with veneer on top. Spray adhesive? Contact cement? It's in a very small powder room.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-13, 11:35 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 54,219
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Contact cement sounds like the logical choice but you need to make sure it won't soak thru or eat the finish you are working with.
Old 08-25-13, 11:28 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,947
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are these skins made out of? If they are veneer with a phenolic backing, contact cement will work well. If it is just veneer with a paperback, I am reluctant to recommend using contact cement. Though I would imagine these skins are meant to be put on like that. It is important to make sure you don't put too much contact cement on. Buy a roller made specifically for that. I think the big box stores sell them. Use a one of those cheap throw away brushes to get into areas the roller doesn't reach. I don't want big blobs or a thick layer of glue.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: