Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Building a temporary ramp for car. Question about structure design & weight limi

Building a temporary ramp for car. Question about structure design & weight limi

Old 10-29-13, 05:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Background:
I need to build a ramp to a standard 40' shipping container which is 4' off from the ground. Location is paved and level. There are other options as well, like using a flatbed truck but I'd prefer ramp as I need to lift other household items as well. The idea is to store this ramp to the container so that I can re-use it once more on the destination. The angle is quite steep, almost 15 degrees, but I am willing to play few tricks to ease up the slope while entering and exiting the ramp (blocks of wood will do the trick).

My question:
Would this structure support 4500lbs car driving once up and then later down in a reasonably safe manner. The image has two types of wood, 4x6" (brown color) and 2x4" (white color). On top of that I'd put either 1" or 1/2" plywood. I'd like to use screws together with sheets of metal to connect the parts together. For the 4x6" I'd propose Douglas Fir Lumber. For the 2x4" I'd propose Green Douglas Fir Stud.

Design draft here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3917ijeeiaezjrg/ramp.png

Last words, I understand perfectly that your comments are just comments, all liabilities belong to me :-)

Thank you!

Old 10-29-13, 05:03 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go buy or rent a car dolly or a car trailer from Uhaul. That thing would weigh as much as the car would and be unsafe.

Old 10-29-13, 06:48 PM
D
There's 77 feet worth of 4x6, 52 feet worth of 2x4, some plywood and metal sheets for the joints, how could that weight as much as the car?

The ramp structure should weight more like 300 lbs, whereas the car is almost 15 times more.

I'd also appreciate the details why this would be unsafe.

Can you explain your calculation to me?

PS. I cannot use car dolly or trailer, I need to get two cars (one larger 4500lbs and one smaller) into a 40 feet container which is 4 feet up from the ground.

Last edited by Domiac; 10-29-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 09:46 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I wonder if a flat bed wrecker could be used? I don't know how great the height differential would be, but it may be close. The wrecker would raise the car to near container height and could back up to butt against the container.
Just a thought.

Old 10-29-13, 10:17 PM
P
Goldstar has a great Idea! the flatbed is close to needed height and and adjust up or down. Also fast and can be reasonably priced.

pbr333

Old 10-29-13, 10:28 PM
D
Yes, as I mentioned in my post flatbed truck is one option, and it would work. Even if the height is not optimal, that can be fixed with tiny ramps that can be placed between the truck and the container. However, flatbed is not the best option as it only solves hauling my two cars oneway, I have other reasonably heavy stuff as well to get inside that container. And I'd have to pay another flatbed truck on the destination, plus the destination place has a bit limited area for a larger truck to maneuver. Hence building a ramp is still the preferred idea. I've driven cars / tractors before to such ramps but never this high.

Thanks guys for your posts!!

Old 10-29-13, 10:54 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Unless you are moving all this to some third-world country getting a flatbed wrecker at the destination should not be all that difficult. As for loading other heavy items have you considered renting a forklift for a day? Remember, getting your possessions into the the container is merely the first step. You also have to be able to move them in the container AND properly secure them against moving.

Old 10-30-13, 05:03 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Ramp

Check with your local rental company for a portable loading dock ramp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: