Install OTR Microwave with no Cainets

Old 12-01-13, 06:43 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install OTR Microwave with no Cainets

I took out a wall unit and replaced with a larger freestanding range. There is no cabinet above and only one cabinet on the side. How can i install an OTR microwave safely? I thought about putting a cabinet above the range. It is an expensive option. There is one side cabinet and no wall or cabinet on the other side. There is no space to put a side cabinet. How can i install microwave with a cabinet above the range or no cabinet at all? The cabinet above the range may be particle board. Is there a minimal type to buy? Will have handyman install.

Old 12-01-13, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Bottom line, you'll need a cabinet over the microwave to help hold it in place. The OTR is attached to the wall via a large metal bracket, but that is for vertical sheer. It will need the cabinet's strength to help keep it from rotating down in front. Take measurements of your cabinet space and buy a 12" tall cabinet to go over the range. Make sure you have adequate spacing (at least 18") above your range to the bottom of the installed microwave. That will set the size of cabinet you will need.

Old 12-01-13, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Just a thought.
Do you have an exhaust fan for the range or does your microwave have one built in?

Old 12-01-13, 09:40 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for tge quick responses. There is no exhaust. The microwave has a built in venting system. I choose it for that reason. My kitchen doesnt have an exhaust though it is less than 15 years old . I can buy a cabinet. It'll look better. Wasnt sure if I needed the side cabinet but I gather not. I measured to ensure I have 66" from thr gloor to the top of the microwave. Will check for 18" clearance. Trying to use existing 30" cabinet doors with a new 30" cabinet. Cheaper than buying the existing brand in the house.

Old 12-01-13, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
If the microwave has a built in fan you should have a choice of going through the top or back with the duct.
Hopefully you will duct it rather than use any recirc feature if it has one.

Old 12-01-13, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The 18" should be to the bottom of your existing over cabinets from the countertop. The microwave should be close to being at that level when installed. That is why I said a 12" upper cabinet. Not much storage, but you need the support of the cabinet more than you need storage space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: