kitchen cabinet separating from wall

Old 01-06-14, 07:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kitchen cabinet separating from wall

I have cheap oak cabinets primarily made of fiberboard and laminate. The top board at the back has gotten wet or something and is now bowed. It has separated from the end of the cabinet. The cabinet droops and the door stays open slightly so I would like to find a way to fix the problem.

I have tried drilling holes and using toggle bolts to draw the board down and bring the cabinet back in place but the board does not straighten and only separates more from the end of the cabinet.

I'm afraid replacing one cabinet results in all new cabinets which I cannot afford at this time.

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. I live in the country so getting professional help is usually not possible or cost prohibitive so I need to find a solution which allows me to do the work.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-06-14, 10:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I assume the cabinet back is still securely screwed to the wall but the cabinet itself is coming apart ??

It shouldn't be too big of a deal to either fasten the cabinet back together or add a little lumber where needed to help you hold it back together.

Old 01-06-14, 02:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Pictures will help a lot.

First is to solve the water problem. Unless that is taken care of it's a waste of time to try fixing the cabinet.

Wet particle board has lost a lot of it's strength and it does not hold screws as well as good material so sometimes you have to go to multiple fasteners to spread the load. Sometimes you can put a metal bracket on the inside of the cabinet and through bolt or use toggle bolts to hold things together.

Old 01-06-14, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What about pulling the single cabinet down and replacing that mounting board (whatever it's called) using blocks, fasteners, and glue.

Old 01-07-14, 07:03 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Repair

GG45 "nailed" it. Repair as suggested with real wood. To do a good repair job, remove the cabinet from the wall, repair, and re-install. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: