Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How to build a shelf with dowels for this model car (pictures)

Old 02-04-14, 07:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.. Total newbie here.. I just built this shelf and I want to do something similar for another model car I have..

I want to hang this other car (pic below) on a new shelf by itself in a similar way, with the side of the car up against the shelf. But hung differently in the following way:

In my first shelf (picture), if the cars were airplanes they would be "nose down, wings level". What I want to do with this 2nd shelf is the opposite.. I want "nose level, Right wing banked". So the car is like leaning over on its side..

How can I do this? I suppose I could just put the dowels in at a downward angle, but then how do I keep the car from just sliding off the shelf? Can anyone think of an easy and cool way to do this that looks nice?

Btw I am a total amateure. I have never built anything myself out of wood in my life. My shelf in the pic was very simple so that's the level I'm at. It needs to be pretty simple and straightforward.

Tips and advice are greatly appreciated..

Old 02-04-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you don't mind taping something to the car, you could use small bits of velcro strips. Cut it with a scissors and stick one half on the car/ other half on the dowel and it won't go anywhere.

Old 02-04-14, 07:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting idea. But I don't think I want to stick anything to the bottom of the car that might disturb the airflow. It goes 100mph so aerodynamics are very important..

Old 02-05-14, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Couldn't you attach something to the dowel to 'catch' the bottom of the car and hold it in place?

Old 02-05-14, 05:43 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Car

Suspend the in midair with fishing line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: