Copper Project

Old 03-03-01, 05:54 PM
racotterel
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hey there I have a project Im about to start that I need some expert help on. I am about to cover 2 main doors with copper sheets to give it a old rustic look, the doors are 30 wide by 79 1/4 long. I need help in trying to get a water tight seal on the doors (wooden), So I need Ideas on what would be the best adhesive to glue the copper to the wood and what kind of brads can I use. My idea was to use an adhesive silacone and some bras brad to blend in, but would copper and brass react to each other? Come on you all I need some creative ways to get this looking professional and to last a long time. Also the hole for the locks can I use a Roto Zip with metal blade to cut holes out, I dont see why not. Do not worry about keeping the copper shine the goal here is to make it look aged and very rustic so any ideas to weather it quicker would be welcomed....Think creatively here Guys and Gals.

Old 03-03-01, 09:43 PM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would probably look into some variety of Liquid Nails for the adhesive.

As to copper and brass not being compatible, they are completely compatible. Brass is a copper/zinc alloy, and brass and copper are not sufficiently different to be concerned about galvanic corrosion or compatibility. Copper is used throughout the plumbing industry, soldered into brass fittings or fixtures (valves) with no problem.

I do not see a problem with the rotozip, altho I don't own a rotozip.

Like your idea, how thick is the copper you plan to use?

Old 03-04-01, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Copper Clading

If the surface you are appling copper to is real flat...why not adhere with contact cement. Just like installing laminate countertops

Old 03-04-01, 06:08 PM
racotterel
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Response

Hey guys thanks for the response, The copper I think is 6 oz thats what the sales man told me. I thought this was measured in ML but I guess not, The surface of the door is not completely flat. The door is solid wood but has panels in it, the edge of the door is about 6 to 7 inches wide so I like the contac cement idea, it should hold providing it bonds to copper. I may go that route and leave out the brads (good idea) on the door, the projects was an idea of a client of mine that just wanted a new look,its not cheap idea but very different. Once again anymore ideas about it post them ill be checking...............Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: