Add wheels to Table

Old 06-05-14, 09:01 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add wheels to Table

I am adding wheels to a table and have a question about how to do it. I hope this is the right forum for this. The wheels have a post that screws into a "nut" that has to be inserted into the table leg. I'm not really sure of the best way to do this. Can't afford to mess up the table leg. How big a hole should I drill and should the "nut" be glued also? The wheel screws into this after it has been inserted into the leg. This is probably simple to someone. Thank you for your help.
The "nut" looks like this. Name:  WP_20140605_22_46_40_Pro (2).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  26.4 KB

Old 06-06-14, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! That's a nice macro shot of the nut. Can you back up a little and take pictures of the nut (not so close up), the wheel you propose, and the bottom of the table leg with the table upside down? You would generally drill a hole the size of the round part of the nut, not the fins. The fins will dig into the leg's wood and make it permanent. The depth of the hole will be determined by the length of the wheel shaft. It all will depend on whether or not the table leg is substantial enough for the nut and wheel shaft not to compromise the surrounding wood, or split the leg.

Old 06-06-14, 07:36 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. Sorry about the picture I was concerned with making sure it was identifiable. I hope the table leg is sturdy enough. It is Oak and the bottom of the leg is 2.25" in diameter if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: