baseboard makeover

Old 06-25-14, 12:58 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
baseboard makeover

Hi,

I am having my kitchen tiles replaced. During the process baseboard and toe has been removed. They are about 20 years old. They are in good shape but they have some scratches here and there. I want to reuse them for cost reasons.

I want to clean/polish them a bit. I am not looking for a brand new look just a little makeover will do.

Is shellac (clear) an option for me? Zinsser 1-qt. Clear Shellac Traditional Finish and Sealer-00304H at The Home Depot

Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-25-14, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
I'd use varnish or poly, shellac should work but it has the softest finish of the 3 with poly having the hardest/toughest finish. Is your woodwork stained? or just have a coat of varnish?

Old 06-25-14, 01:41 PM
I
Thanks Marksr.... I think it is stained.

Old 06-25-14, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you know if the scratches go thru the stain? Poly might be enough to dress them up but it's also possible they might need a little stain first. Generally when touching up scratches with stain it's best to use a stain a shade or two lighter than what's on the wood - scratches usually stain out darker than smooth wood.

Old 06-25-14, 02:08 PM
I
Thanks again... Actually the scratches are not going through the stain. And also more than the scratches, I want to revitalize the wood. Is poly still a good option?

Or do you think a product like scotts liquid gold will do the job?

FWIW, the baseboard has been removed. So I'll be applying the chosen product first before reinstalling the baseboard.

Old 06-25-14, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A furniture polish or floor wax [or whatever liquid gold is ] may work ok. A lot depends on the condition of the existing varnish/poly. The big catch is if the wax/polish doesn't do a good enough job - you must remove it before you can apply poly!! the wax will prevent any coating from having good adhesion to the wood.

Normally a light sanding [220 grit] and a fresh coat of poly or varnish will breathe new life into tired woodwork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: