Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

looking into stripping my kitchen cabinets that are painted and staining them

Old 06-26-14, 08:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had a couple questions before I get into this project. I know the cabinets are solid wood as when I bought the home some of the original paint had come off and had to be repainted. The cabinets are not that old house was built in 2005. My main question is I know there was a spot on one of the cabinets doors that had some wood putty added to fill a small ding about the size of a quarter. Can the putty be stained over or will it need to be sanded out and replaced?
Im guessing poly is the best to finish the cabinets after staining? Will the oil based paint that was used on the wood of the cabinets effect how it will accept the stain? What is the best chemical stripper to use to strip the paint from the cabinets?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 03:19 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You are in for a big project if you are expecting to have a professional looking result.

I would definitely be experimenting on the back of one of the most infrequently used cabinets to see just how clean you can get the wood and how it will take the finishes you intend to apply.

"Lightning Strip" is the chemical stripper I use and it is very effective and fast but it is nasty and if you are doing the cabinet frames in place, you have to make sure you protect any adjoining surfaces very well.

This job will involve a lot of time to properly prepare. Make sure you really need to do it before getting started.

As far as the filler, most will readily take stain but I've yet to see one that I couldn't pick out because you cannot match the characteristics if the grain in the wood adjacent to it.

Old 06-27-14, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
I've never seen any filler take stain to my satisfaction

I don't use strippers often enough to have a preference and different strippers have different jobs they excel at. I generally ask the rep at the paint store which stripper would be best for the job at hand.

While the fronts of your cabinets are probably solid wood, it's likely there is also wood that is just a veneer. Care must be used when sanding veneers so you don't damage it, some veneers are thinner than others.

Poly is the preferred coating to use over stain as it dries to a harder finish than lacquer, shellac or varnish. Oil base poly dries harder than it's water based counterpart. It will take 2-3 coats of poly, sanding lightly [and removing the dust] between coats.

Normally wood that has been painted, then stripped won't accept as much stain as raw [never sealed] wood. As calvert stated, this won't be a quick/easy job!