Epoxy resin substitute for hand made pong table.

Old 07-25-14, 08:57 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Epoxy resin substitute for hand made pong table.

Hello all!

I am making a beer pong table out of painted ply wood, with either paper or plastic decals of my school's logo on top. I want to use something to create a waterproof, smooth finish on top that will protect the table and the decals. My first thought was to use epoxy resin but after doing some research I have found this is both hard to do, and quite expensive.

What would be the best alternative product to use to finish my table?

I have thought about varnish or shellac, but I am unsure if this will provide the smooth protective coating I am looking for, because it will be applied with a brush.

The table is 7 feet long by 2 feet wide, and I would like to keep the clear finish somewhere in the $10-$35 range as far as price.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-25-14, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Water based polyurethane....test it on scrap first, but should be ok.

Old 07-25-14, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Since you are incorporating paper and decals, "decoupage" comes to mind. Haven't thought about that since elementary school.

Old 07-25-14, 09:46 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Would it be possible to pour on the Polyurethane? If not, is there an alternative that I could pour on?

I am worried I will never be able to get a smooth surface if I have to brush or roll the finish on.

Old 07-26-14, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Polys can't be poured on - they won't dry/cure correctly if applied too thick. You can add a little of Flood's Floetrol or XIM's Extendz to water based coatings to slow down the drying time which helps the coating to flow together better, reducing brush marks. Using the a quality brush [or the right short nap roller cover] will also help. Sanding between coats both promotes good adhesion and eliminates or reduces brush marks and/or roller stipple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: