Dent on top of Air Hockey Table

Old 08-17-14, 11:18 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dent on top of Air Hockey Table

Hi all. I bought an Air Hockey table that has a bit of damage on the surface of the table. Since Air Hockey is all about having a flat surface, it's pretty much unusable until I fix it.

I was wondering what the best method is to fix this up? Keeping the graphic is not really a concern of mine. I'm not familiar with woodworking at all, but I believe it's either MDF or particle board. I believe there is a second layer underneath the top part, so I cannot see or push in the dent from the bottom.

I have three pictures here:
https://imgur.com/a/YMbw0

Any advice for a beginner would be very helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-17-14, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Bondo would probably be a good choice. It will probably stick better than Durhams rock hard putty or a wood filler, especially if you have to feather the edge.

Old 08-17-14, 12:24 PM
R
Received 65 Upvotes on 50 Posts
That looks more like a hole than a dent it the fiberboard and I don't think there is any way to repair it. Wood filler or bondo are not options from the looks of it.

Old 08-17-14, 01:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd cut out the damaged area and put in a patch. Maybe use a hole saw. Then make a patch using the next larger hole saw. The patch can be reduced to size if to large by securing a bolt through the center hole and chucking it in a drill held in a vice. Sand the patch plug to correct diameter as it turns. Glue and maybe screw a sheet metal plate (galvanized flashing would work) to the back side and glue the patch to that with construction adhesive. Then fill the center hole of the patch with Bondo.

Old 08-17-14, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Going to have to re-drill the air holes of course, no matter how you repair it.

I think I would probably try trimming off the messed up protruding areas, then some clear epoxy then sand the area smooth.

You might be able to use a hole saw to carefully cut through the bottom layer of the table (it's hollow) so that you could work from the bottom. The hole you cut would be easy to patch and not have to look pretty.

Old 08-17-14, 05:12 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, fellas! Looks like there are a few options I could take.

Do any of you have any good links to instructions on patching? Whenever I Google it, it comes up with patching products or patching methods (like, slipping a piece of wood in the hole and using wood glue).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: