Need help reattaching mirror to bathroom vanity

Old 09-15-14, 03:49 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help reattaching mirror to bathroom vanity

I am renting an apartment. The mirror fell off of the vanity with the previous tenant but thankfully the mirror was saved. However, peg type hinges snapped off and now there is no way that I or my landlord knows of to reattach the mirror without mounting it to the wall separately leaving the contents of the cabinet exposed which I would prefer not to have. Please help with suggestions.
Name:  CAM01003.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  24.8 KB
Name:  CAM01004.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  20.8 KB
Name:  CAM01005.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  23.0 KB
Name:  CAM01006.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  22.4 KB

Last edited by lepetitpauvre; 09-15-14 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Check with Rockler.com as they seem to have a pretty extensive array of cabinet/glass hinge systems. It may take a modification to your present cabinet, but it is worth the shot. Black Simplex Concealed Hinges, pair - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Old 09-15-14, 04:15 PM
L
Thank you! I am worried about the screws being too long on that particular item as the "wood" backing on my mirror is slightly less than 1/4 inch... which also causes concern of the hinge pulling out or being strong enough.

Old 09-15-14, 04:20 PM
You can drill a pilot hole and cut the screws off or use shorter screws, and that isn't wood. It's either MDF or particle board. Not a good substrate for anything much. They make similar hinges with clamp type fittings for glass only. You may find one wide enough to encompass both your glass and wood and just press together, or slip it under the glass and let it clamp directly onto the wood.

Old 09-15-14, 04:40 PM
L
I think I may have found the exact hinges but what are those flat "screws" and how do I attach them. I am a newbie but a quick learner so I don't know lingo and whatnot. Would it be best to use this same type of hinge? Should I opt for the simpler hinge suggested and if you use one to encase both the mirror or just the board backing? Which would be best/safest?

Old 09-15-14, 04:42 PM
The rivets holding the original pivot will need to be ground out. The door was built, hinges installed with the rivets and the mirror placed over it. You may not be successful in removing the old and replacing with a new exact match. I would use the one that would compress on the wood only to keep from possibly cracking the mirror.