Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Wanting to repaint kitchen cabinet, but not sure how to show grain

Old 11-08-14, 01:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi DIY'ers

a newbie here to the forum, so hoping you can give me some help.

I promised my fiance's parents I would help them redo their kitchen cabinets as I have stained a few things in the past (amateurish experience), but enjoy it.

Problem is after I took off one of their cabinets, I realized this isn't a stain job, but a paint job!

Their cabinets were peeling, so this is definitely not a stain job.

The thing is, even though it is painted, I can see the natural wood grain underneath the paint. Where the cabinet is exposed shows the wood grain, and continues on underneath the area that is painted.

Is this even paint, and if so, what is the procedures to paint the cabinets again to look new? Would this be a water based paint?

Knowing I am hooped, I brought the cabinet door to good ol' HD.
The guy sold me some Behr alkyd semi gloss enamel paint telling me all I had to do was prep the door (clean and sand it down), and just paint over it, and because the colour is so light, the wood grain will show through underneath the paint.

The wood is lighter than the paint (beige creamy white), but it might be hard to tell from the pictures I have attached.

Can someone give me advice if this is even paint and if so, how am I to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Name:  IMG_4192.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  13.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4193.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  18.1 KB

Old 11-08-14, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Hard to say from here what type of finish is currently on the cabinets but the main thing is to sand off all the loose and soften the transition between what finish stays and what you've removed. That should make the cabinets ready for primer. After priming and 2 coats of enamel [sand between coats] most if not all of the grain will likely disappear.

Old 11-08-14, 05:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark,
Brian here. OP wants the grain to show through paint, not hide it. Any ideas?
I don't know of any. I know if it was white paint you could just water it down, like whitewash.

Old 11-08-14, 05:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Paint will always reduce the 'texture' of the grain. No way around it. Multiple coats of poly also reduce the grain but you can still see it because it doesn't hide it.

Dependent on the materials used on the cabinet, it might be possible to use a chemical stripper, sand and then stain [or not] and poly. Basically any paint can be thinned and used as a stain although there can be drying and adhesion issues with some paints when they are drastically thinned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: