Frame a Wall 16 Inches on Center

Old 03-31-15, 07:59 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frame a Wall 16 Inches on Center

Hello all,

I have watched several videos on line and all of them use similar technique to measure the distance between studs. The part I don't understand is that the distance between the center of the FIRST stud to the center of the second stud is NOT 16". The distance is in fact 16" - 3/4". Please see the image as follows.

The online tutorial is here: The Easy Way to Frame a Wall 16 Inches on Center

Can someone tell me why the method proposed is correct?

What is the problem of the following method?
1> start from the left end of the stud and mark each 16" on the stud
2> put the first vertical stud along the left end of the horizontal stud, place the second stud on the right of the mark. Then do the following studs. In this way, the distance of each stud is always 16". Anything is wrong here?

Thank you

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You are absolutely correct. The first stud, you are measuring from end to center. From there you are measuring center to center, so there is 14 1/2" between all studs except the first one, which will be 13 3/4". This is the first Google hit for the tool I like to use when setting up walls. Frame Master Stud Spacing Tools

Old 04-01-15, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 528 Votes on 485 Posts
I like to mark the top and bottom plates with them lying on the floor right next to each other so you can use a square and mark the stud locations on both at the same time. Then just for a sanity check look at your stud locations like you are a piece of 48" wide material. Lay your tape measure down and verify that the edges of the sheet lie where you want. At the very end of the wall they might go to the very end but in the middle of the wall the sheet should end in the middle of a stud.