Gaps in risers/treads

Old 04-02-15, 08:31 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gaps in risers/treads

I'm having my staircase re-done. It was previously carpet and it's being switched to full laminate treads with white poplar risers. It's about halfway installed and there is very noticeable gaps between the risers/treads, they want to caulk it but i could have sworn there should be no gap between the two since this is a brand new install. Is this normal or something i should be worried about in the installation process? They said they will use caulk to cover the gap but i don't understand why there is a gap when they are cutting it all to fit.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-15, 08:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How wide is the gap? While there will be a crack that needs to be caulked, there shouldn't be a gap.

Old 04-02-15, 09:03 AM
B
I didn't measure it but it's very visible as of now. I can post a picture once i get back home. i'd say it's less than a 1/4 inch.

Old 04-02-15, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It should have been cut closer than that! IMO 1/8" would be that absolute most I'd want to see. An 1/16" would be considered normal. The sad thing is you can't 'stretch' the risers/treads so the only way to fix the wide gaps is with caulk or replacement. You haven't paid them yet, right?

Last edited by marksr; 04-02-15 at 09:24 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-02-15, 09:21 AM
B
only for the materials, haven't paid for installation. if i'm not happy i'm not cutting a check. the one piece treads are 12X48 so they shouldn't have an issue making them meet. i'll post pics once i get back. it's enough to where i can see the original box when looking up the staircase from the bottom floor.

Old 04-02-15, 09:38 AM
B
he's saying he always uses 1/4 round to cover the gaps. i never mentioned that to him not did we discuss it about our install. i bought one piece treads and wanted just the treads and the risers. the 1/4 round wasn't even mentioned in our quote. do you think he messed up and just doesn't want to re-do it?

Old 04-02-15, 01:04 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Stairs

Sounds to me like the stringers do not match.

Old 04-02-15, 01:37 PM
K
If you are talking about where the back of the tread meets the bottom of the riser, then that should be cut to fit so it is seamless. Nothing more than a 1/16" gap would be acceptable if I were doing it. It is time-consuming, but caulking it is not an option.

If you mean where the top of the riser meets the bottom of the tread, that can be a little more difficult to get perfect, and a small gap that is caulked would be acceptable to me.

Either way, if you are not happy with how it is going now, tell him, because now is the time to fix it. It is not good for you or the contractor for you to let him continue doing work you are not happy with, especially if you already know you won't be paying him for it!

Old 04-02-15, 01:44 PM
B
Yes i'm talking about your first scenario. Where the back of the tread meets the riser. There was a significant gap. I can't tell if he actually fixed it or just caulked it. There was definitely more than 1/16th gap.

Old 04-02-15, 01:49 PM
K
In that case, there is no excuse. It is either a matter of inexperience or not caring to take the time to make it fit right. In an ideal situation, where the stringers are all cut stright and square, you might be able to install one riser and tread in about 10 minutes. In a situation where things are out of square, not stright and nothing is flat, it could easily take a half hour just to scribe and fit one tread.

It should be quite obvious if it was caulked, if you cant tell, my guess is he took it out and fixed it.

Old 04-02-15, 01:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I mis read your first post and thought it was the sides that were short.

Could you post some pics so we can see what has been done - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html