Mass Loaded Vinyl or Lead sheeting ??

Old 06-06-15, 06:35 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mass Loaded Vinyl or Lead sheeting ??

In general isn't the best sound proofing material (for use on walls for example) going to be the denser material ? So, wouldn't lead sheet be better (as far as sound proofing goes) then MLV ?

I would think since a 1 sq. ft sheet of both may weigh 1 lb, but the lead sheet piece is so much thinner - that it's mass is higher and thus its ability to block sounds.

Old 06-06-15, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Lead may work to block Xrays, but it will vibrate just like any other single layer product (maybe not as much). It isn't the single layer density that helps avert noise, but the loftiness of the material and its ability to dissipate the noise. Lead sheeting would need to be decoupled from the walls/ceilings in order to achieve any sound deadening. Then, again, at what cost would lead be??

Old 06-06-15, 05:09 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What is your application?

I've used the MLV and am not so impressed with it. Lead sheet will be tough to get and handle in large pieces. You can buy it already laminated to drywall which is used in x ray rooms. Special order of course and not cheap.

Old 06-09-15, 05:11 PM
I
My application is ...

My issue is very low frequency noise outside my home getting inside. It is so low in frequency that it is not heard, but felt. I can not control it. So, I wish to build a 'coffin' sized box to try to sleep in.

I had thought of building something using multiple layers of 1/8 or 1/4 inch MDF then lead sheeting or MLV, another layer of MDF, another layer of .... etc. I'd attach at least two small and independent air inlets, and 2 small outlets ... using very small tubing with fans.

I'd try putting this on a large thick Styrofoam sheet to isolate it from the floor.

Any suggestions with dealing with very low frequencies would be welcome.

Old 06-09-15, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You asked this same question a month ago but were seemingly hesitant to give details. I guess that's why the thread sort of died.

Have you had anyone come in and actually measure the sound levels? Have you asked neighbors if they notice an issue? Have you considered moving?

Old 06-09-15, 05:49 PM
I
I am a little unwilling to share some details. There are reasons for that and I hope you or no one else is offended by that.

I don't need to verify with anyone else what is happening. Please trust that I have plenty of experience in dealing with this issue, and am not sharing a lot of the details about how I know what is going on. I don't think it makes a difference - it just would not change anything and is only upsetting to me.

For a variety of reasons, I will not consider moving.

I have not had anyone here to measure sound levels. Perhaps it may be useful information to have - giving me an idea what I need to do to deal with it.

Old 06-09-15, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Not offended, just that it's very hard for people to give advice without some idea of the source, distance, frequency, etc, etc.

Every situation is different depending on the above, construction, personal sensitivity, and so forth. The first thing any sort of sound engineer would do is make measurements at all sorts of frequencies to see what the actual problem is.

Old 06-10-15, 07:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
If you can't hear the noise, I would think some kind of buffer to stop movement would be the right choice - shock absorbers in a car would be an example.

As Vic said, more detail usually leads to better answers. Your call.

Old 06-10-15, 09:58 AM
I
A mechanical engineer, who is an audio enthusiast in his spare time, explained to me that with very low frequencies, the problem I face is the 'sound' (perhaps better to call it 'shock wave' or 'pressure wave' ?) can travel through walls, then around a room, then into items within the room. The advice he offered was to try something to disrupt the ability of the 'sound' to get in - such as lead sheeting or MLV on walls (and floors, as curtains, etc.).

In my personal situation that mean a lot of material ... which is why I thought of the box idea. He pointed out that I needed to view the problem as not just 'sound' - but vibration. Thus, isolating the box from floors or walls would be just as important as a solid thick mass on all sides of the box.

So, I can understand the need for something like 'shock absorbers' ... and that even a spongy material like Styrofoam, once compressed, will tend to transfer some vibration.

Anyways, as far as finding 'cheap' lead sheeting, where would be best to look ? I've been told it's more of a construction product, then just 'soundproofing'.

Old 06-10-15, 04:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Lead is a rather expensive metal in any form. If you are just looking for mass then maybe steel, concrete or even high density engineered wood sheeting like Advantech. There are also sound deadening products that have a dense rubber/tar base with a aluminum sheet. There are also isolation mats and pads used in industry.

If you're trying to make your house or office more quiet then masonry is probably the cheapest option. It's relatively inexpensive, has a lot of mass and is stiff so it's good at blocking most frequencies.

---
Long ago in a previous life I worked with robots that placed the components on circuit boards. The placement machines had to be individually tested to prove they could place tiny components with extreme accuracy. The test room had a special isolation foundation with lots of concrete and lots of money. Still the proof tests were run around 2 am when traffic on the nearby roads was minimal. Even with an obscene budget there was only so much that could be done to stop low frequency vibration.

Old 06-13-15, 11:40 PM
S
Soundproofing requires several different mediums creating abrupt changes in density while each medium is isolated from the next, this is very difficult to acheive. This article describes the problem and possible solutions very well.
How to soundproof a room

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: