Best way for adhering marker board to plywood

Old 06-11-15, 02:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way for adhering marker board to plywood

Hello,

I wanted to ask what were your thoughts on adhering marker board...ie dry erase board to a piece of plywood. This is going to be used as a moveable dry erase board at my gym so don't want to use any fasteners. I was thinking a wood glue might be best but wondered if a spray adhesive might be as good or better. Appreciate your replies!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-15, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I would use (and have used) construction adhesive and some weights (you have those right?). Use the adhesive designed for foamboard or the latex (no odor) type for FRP board. Put some beads down, then smear it thin with a putty knife, then lay weights/sandbags/medicine balls over the whole surface. Ideally, you'd put another sheet of plywood on top to make a sandwich and distribute the weight evenly.

Marker board is basically hardboard (like pegboard) with a white coating, glues won't work that well since they normally need to "soak in" to the surfaces.

Contact cement like used for laminate countertops would work, but it's kind of a pain to work with if you haven't before.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-11-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 565 Votes on 518 Posts
Yeah I'd use contact cement, provided the back of the whiteboard is smooth. It will permanently bond the 2 materials together.

Contact cement can be rolled on, brushed on, or they make it in spray cans. You spray both surfaces, let them tack up until neither side is sticky (follow label directions) then lay some strips over the plywood (individual pieces from old mini-blinds work well) and then position the whiteboard over it. Remove a few shims from one side and start to stick it down... then remove a few more and keep smoothing it in one direction and pulling out shims so that you don't trap any air in between.

If you want to separate the whiteboard from the plywood someday, just put a big dot of 100% silicone in each corner and lay it on there.

Vic's ideas would certainly work too!

Old 06-11-15, 04:10 PM
D
I would use PL Premium. Contact cement is going to require pressure rolling. It probably won't stay stuck for a long time.

Old 06-12-15, 02:08 PM
T
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate the feedback. Think I will be using a construction adhesive and some pressure during cure.