Toekicks on upper cabinets

Old 06-27-15, 06:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toekicks on upper cabinets

I'm getting ready to place upper cabinets on the floor to serve as a base for some bookshelves, and I have a quick question.

Do I absolutely need to put on my own toekicks? Since these are not going to be used in the kitchen or anything, I don't want them to be too tall, and I'm afraid toekicks would do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-15, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Toeskicks do several things. Give your feet more space when you stand close, like at the sink to wash dishes. They get the cabinet doors up off the floor where they won't drag on carpet and they provide space for levelling the cabinet on the floor. And they keep the face of the cabinet up high enough that it's usually out of the way of the vacuum cleaner... so its similar to a mopboard or baseboard in that respect.

We have no idea what you're planning or what it will look like, but you could also apply what's called a "furniture toe" which is not much more than some additional height added onto the cabinet that is then surrounded by trim. You could even use the exact same baseboard that is on the walls if you think it would look right.

Here is an example of what that would look like.

Cleanup Sink Furniture Base Photo by Cotehele | Photobucket