Built-in cabinet Filler for a super small gap.

Old 08-16-15, 09:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Built-in cabinet Filler for a super small gap.

I have built and installed ready to assemble cabinets for an upstairs loft desk. I got off easy as I only need a single filler of 4" to clear a door moulding. But that project is the extent of my cabinetry skills.

My tract home has a 25" wide recessed space designed for a built-in cabinet. I can get the same cabinets as my loft in 24" wide and 21" wide. Both options leave a gap. Either 1/2" on either side or 1.5" on either side. Which is easier to deal with?

It will have a door so it will need clearance on the hinge edge. Do I get the 24" and slide to the non-hinge side and fill with 1"? Or the 21" or 24" centered?" Or the 24" positioned to one edge and fill 3"?

I would prefer to keep it center but I also prefer easy. Obviously, I am not a cabinet guy. But I hate to pay someone $800-$100 for a custom cabinet (the bid I got) when I can install a $158 cabinet myself.

Is there special trick or materials for such small gap?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-15, 10:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Robert!

IMO [and I'm a painter not a carpenter] it would make more sense to use the wider cabinet and then rip a filler strip for each side to make up the difference.

Old 08-16-15, 10:45 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Cabinet

I would use the 24 in, cabinet with 1/2 in. fillers. You could buy one filler and rip a 1/2 in. strip off of each side. Nail one filler on before installing the cabinet. Install the cabinet. If you are lucky enough to have a uniform filler width from top to bottom, you can slide the second filler in from the top. If you choose a less tight fit. nail the second filler on before installing the cabinet. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: