How to get crown molding to line up

Old 09-15-15, 02:46 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get crown molding to line up

I am taking out a soffit in kitchen.Replacing cab. The problem is on all out side wall the ceiling is curved down. When looking at ceiling joist they do not make it to out side wall support. They have a angle support (really do not know what to call it)that goes from out side wall to ceiling joist. Its about 31 in long. In the pictuers the wood with the X on it is not,repeat NOT the angle support from wall The problem lies in that the ceiling joist does not make it to where the new cabinet ends 12 OUT from the out side wall. There will be a slanted piece of plasterboard going from new cab to ceiling.I can not raise new cab with out cutting the angle support. The slanted part will be about 3-5 in wide. I have enclose a few pictures to help you understand the problem. How do you line up crown molding from adjacent wall.

Name:  top of angle support ties in to ceiling joist-2.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  40.0 KBName:  soffit being removed.jpg
Views: 3761
Size:  32.2 KBName:  P1170347-2.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  35.5 KBName:  angle support sits on out side wall.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  43.9 KBName:  angle suppport ties into out side wall2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  44.2 KB

PS: I do understand that I will have to notch out back of top of new cabinets.

Old 09-15-15, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ok, I've read this about 5x and it barely makes sense. Let me see if I have it correct. The piece that you have pictured (with the x) is nailed to an angled RAFTER, yes? And so you are saying that when you remove the soffit, those rafters protrude down into the area your cabinets must go? Or that's above the cabinets, but in the space the crown moulding would go?

Just so we are clear, the standard height for a 30" wall cabinet is 84". Are you saying the top plate those rafters sit on is less than 84" from the subfloor? Or are your wall cabinets 36" or 42" tall? And your question mentions crown moulding. We would need to know more details to understand what you have in mind.

Old 09-15-15, 03:33 PM
B
The new cab is 36,the old cab are 30 in. I forgot this picture drawing,it maybe of help or really confuse every one. The ceiling height at the out side wall is about 91 in.The ceiling height for the rest of the area in the kitchen is about 95 in. If you look at the picture below,you will notice the ceiling joist stops at the end of the angle support,that is about 31 in long (on right side of diagram).

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-15, 04:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Is the black area in the picture below the bottom of your existing soffit?
You haven't torn it out yet?

Name:  angle%20support%20sits%20on%20out%20side%20wall.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 09-15-15, 04:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This seems to be what you are talking about but I don't understand. Are you going to remove the soffit? If so what are you going to do with the A/C duct.

Name:  -2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 09-16-15, 06:10 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Crown

Construct a plinth block where the crown meets at the corner and butt the two crowns to the plinth block.

I have a crude drawing to show how I understand your situation. The drywall filler from the top of the cabinet to the intersection of the horizontal and slanted ceiling creates a "non-vertical wall" and will cause the crown to have a different pitch angle with the ceiling when compared to the pitch angle with the ceiling on the adjacent wall.

The line from the upper left corner of the cross section of the cabinet to the ceiling is the drywall filler.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 09-16-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 01:06 PM
B
Thanks for every ones input.No there is no A/C.The black area is the bottom of the soffit to be removed. I have not torn it out yet.Just trying to get an idea of future problems. Wirepuller38 did the best job of understanding my drawings (they did not help that much,plus I did not know the terminology ). AS he put it the pitch of both sides of the ceiling are different at the point were they meet.One side is 90 degrees and the other is about 130 give or take a few degrees. I did like the plinth block idea .Did not know what it was but its a good idea (will keep in back of my mess up mind). The BOSS (wife) would not really go for it,I probably would not either. What would happen if I made the 90 degree side the same pitch as the other side. I believe crown molding is set up in such a way for a 90 wall and ceiling. Can you cut crown molding in such a way for a 130 degree wall and ceiling and have it meet?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: