DIY project - "Floating" bed frame

Old 01-07-16, 10:09 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY project - "Floating" bed frame

Hello,

Just need some advice on a project I'm intersted in doing. I'm looking into getting a new bed frame. I'm considering making a "float bed", similar to this project here..

http://www.lifebuzz.com/floating-bed/

My question is, does anyone have any advice on how to accomplish this with a regular/existing pre-fab platform bed frame? As you can see from the above link, most people build their own solid frame, and attach it to a smaller base. Not sure how I could rest an existing standard frame with slats on top of a base like that. This is the bed frame I'd like to use. As you can see, it sits very low to the floor. I'd like it to sit higher, with no legs, on top of a hidden base, so I can install LED lighting underneath around the perimeter..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MPW5JNE..._AUPJwb3D10MV4

Thanks!

Old 01-07-16, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
If I understand correctly, you'd need to disassemble the prefab frame and then install it's wood border to your site built frame.

Old 01-07-16, 10:37 AM
G
Right. Well, the frame would come disassembled, so that's no problem. But, the frame is upholstered, so that eliminates the possibility of drilling into the side of it (from the outside). I suppose I could use joist hangers on the inside, but I doubt there would be room. I'm assuming there's probably a metal frame on the inside for the slats.

Old 01-07-16, 10:56 AM
C
Received 86 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Kind of hard to know without being able to see the construction of the frame. You're probably right that there's a metal frame around the inside. If there's a little room (like 3/4 inch) between the bottom of the metal frame and the bottom of the wood wrap, you could just lay plywood across the base, sizing it so the metal frame pieces rest on the plywood all around. As long as the overhang was only 6 or 8 inches the plywood would be plenty strong enough. That's how my old waterbed (pauses for a moment of fond recollection) was put together.

If there's more room under the metal frame pieces, you could pocket screw hardwood cross bars to the inside of the wood frame; that would get around having to use joist hangers or drilling from the outside.

I'm sure once you have the frame in hand there will be a way to do it.

Old 01-07-16, 11:06 AM
G
Thanks. Yeah, that thought occured to me, as well. I just wasn't sure if that would be strong enough. You're right, though, I'd have to actually see it in person to figure it all out. I was just hoping to find something online with pictures where somebody had already done it. So far, I haven't come accross anything. Just the ones built totally from scratch.

Old 01-07-16, 07:26 PM
G
I wonder if something like this would work for that. With the plywood on between this frame, and the bottom of the bed frame.

BedFrameParts.com 7 1/2" Linwood Bed Base - Queen Size - Bed Frames, Center Supports, Bed Frame Parts, Furniture Parts, and More

Old 01-07-16, 09:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It sure looks a lot like my water bed to me. The water bed basically sets on a box (pedistall) about one foot smaller then the bed. By that I mean six inches of the bed hangs off the box on each side and end. The actual base of the bed is just unreinforced plywood and the bottoms of the sides and end have " deep rabbit that sets on the plywood and hides it.

Here is what the box looks like:

Name:  riser.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  12.6 KB

Not my bed but a general example. It uses brackets instead of rabbiting the edge. I would use both:

Name:  my-bed.jpg
Views: 3179
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  rabbet-joint-for-woodworkin.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  4.4 KB

While because of the weight the box (pedestal) is not fastened on a water bed to the base you would need to do it using angle brackets when using a regular mattress. The same goes for the sides they should be fastened to the base with angle brackets in addition to the rabbit. I would use " plywood for the box and base and 2x8s for the sides and end.

Since for a Queen are larger yo will need two pieces of plywood probably best to run the seam side to side not end to end. Or over engineer and laminate two pieces of " plywood in to a 1" sheet running the seams on one side to side and end to end on the other.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-07-16 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 10:45 PM
G
Interesting info, thank you. I'm a novice when it comes to building anything. I'm wondering, I may just be better off purchasing aone of those waterbed pedestals, and use that as my starting point.

Old 01-07-16, 11:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They do sell them but the price is ridiculous. Example: https://www.my-waterbed-shop.com/sto..._pedestal.html I can't tell had well made it is. For your pose it is going to have to take more stress then just down probably.

Caveat this is not something I have built. If I built it I might modify my original ideas as I went along and found what worked and what didn't. For example with a six inch overhang and unlike a water bed no heavy weight I'm not sure the bed wouldn't tip if someone set on the edge. I don't think it would but it is something I would test as I went along and modify if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: