Ridding cabinets of overlay with new doors

Old 01-15-16, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ridding cabinets of overlay with new doors

I'm looking to remodel my cabinets by only ordering new doors. I prefer the look of no overlay where the door, rail, and stiles are flush. The current doors give a 1/2" overlay on all sides. If I were to purchase doors that were an 1" wider and taller to cover the overlay, would this work as I'm hoping it would? The current hinges are already hidden. Even if I have to purchase a specific type of hinge I'm not opposed to doing that to get rid of the overlay.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-16, 03:30 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Cabinet Doors

If the new doors are larger than the opening, would you not still have an overlay?

Old 01-15-16, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The current doors give a 1/2" overlay on all sides. If I were to purchase doors that were an 1" wider and taller to cover the overlay
If you want to order new doors that are "full overlay" versus 1/2" overlay, I have a few cons and no pros.

- I refaced cabinets for years. In most kitchens, it's hard enough to get the 1/2" overlay to align properly. The cabinets are often out of level and out of square. Full overlay could be difficult or impossible to align, requiring reordering some doors.
- You can get some tips here on measuring. Measurements must be correct and accurate, there's more to it than just measuring the existing doors.