gap between drawers for desk

Old 02-06-16, 09:06 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gap between drawers for desk

I'm looking to make a drawer unit for a desk I'm putting together, similar to the one pictured. To try and maximize available space, I'm not putting any frame between the drawers (I'm using robust sliders like those in the pic) but I'm not sure how much of a gap I should leave between the drawer faces. I thought 1/16 would look nice aesthetically, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't end up having an issue with the drawer above hitting the one below as it's going in and out if it's carrying a bit of weight. Should I go 1/8" to be on the safe side?

Thanks

Name:  SherriDesk-Drawers-4.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 02-06-16, 09:22 PM
C
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
What material will the drawer fronts be made from, solid wood, or something engineered like plywood or MDF?

If solid wood, I usually leave about 3/32 all around to accommodate wood movement with temp and humidity changes.

If engineered product, you can probably get by with 1/16 or the thickness of a penny.

If they are going to be painted I wouldn't go any less than 3/32.

The slides have some slop, so it's usually best to plan on false fronts on the drawers that get spaced and attached to the drawer boxes once the boxes have been mounted in the case. I load up the drawers with suitable weight and then attach the false fronts.

Old 02-07-16, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,582 Likes on 1,418 Posts
You would be wise to let drawer body have about 3/4" of space between it and the next drawer. The drawer FACES, however, should be built separately so that they can be screwed onto the drawer body from behind. (As CarbideTipped mentioned) This gives you a little adjustment... and you should have a 1/8" reveal around all edges, assuming you are going with inset / no overlay frameless euro style.

Old 02-07-16, 12:14 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the spacing for the bodies is actually going to be about 3/4". As for the drawer faces, I do always make them separate to the actual drawers themselves, not least because it makes it much easier to align them all later. I was going to go with drawer faces that overlapped the side framework, but I'm thinking it might look a little more elegant to have them recessed. Sure, I lose 3/4" in depth, but I think aesthetically it's worth it. On that basis 3/32 or 1/16th seems about right.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: