Filling gap in shaker stile and rail

Old 03-22-16, 08:28 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Filling gap in shaker stile and rail

Sorry for the explanation in the title, but I cut my shaker doors with tongue and groove router bits. I was surprised actually by how tricky it was to cut the tongues, but I ended up doing a pretty good job. They weren't perfectly centered, but with some sanding and knowing I will be painting I have them almost perfectly flush. On one of them though (Where the rail meets the stile) I have a tiny gap 1/32 maybe, but when I paint them I want everything to look perfectly smooth. This should be able to be filled in with something right? I have never used wood filler before but is that the way to go? I am sure I am over thinking this but just want a professional result and don't want to mess anything up this far in the process. A lot of work goes into one of them doors.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-16, 08:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Generally cracks get filled with caulking but if it's built the way I think it is - it's not supposed to be caulked as the panel must be able to expand/contract with temp/humidity changes. The joints for the frame itself can be caulked or puttied.

pics would likely be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-22-16, 10:59 AM
C
Received 62 Votes on 50 Posts
Mark,
I think the OP said that the problem joint was between the stile and a rail. It should already be glued. Filling that should not be a problem. I would fill it with wood filler or a sawdust/glue mix and fake a "joint" line with a razor blade before painting.

Old 03-22-16, 02:08 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeah where it is already glued. Is there a filler you recommend over others? Just going off some reviews on amazon, not 100 percent sure if that is for cabinet surfaces. Just want the brand that will look the best.

Thanks

Old 03-22-16, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Since you intend to paint I'd use either caulking [smoothed and excess removed with damp sponge/rag] or painter's putty. I prefer SWP's 66 Glazing over DAP putty because it isn't oily [keeps my fingers cleaner]