What screws to use??

Old 05-14-16, 11:06 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What screws to use??

Howdy, folks. I'm needing to mount a 1.5 inch thick block of wood (6"x13") to my wall. The wall has paneling and is on top of sheet rock, with no stud available to drill into. There is going to be a bottle opener attached to the block of wood....so it isn't weight bearing, but will have a little torque(?) applied now and then. What kind/length of screw(s) should i use so i can rest easy when i crack open some cold ones, knowing I'm not gonna yank my opener off the wall? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-16, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Screws alone will not do it as there is nothing fro them to hold.

Personally I'd use four toggle bolts to do the job. I'd use 1/4" diameter x 4" long.

Name:  togglebolt.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  4.0 KB

Hold your board to the wall. Drill four 5/16" holes thru the wood and into the wall. Don't drill the holes too close to the edge of the board.
Remove the wood. The holes in the wall will need to be enlarged for the toggle to go thru folded in half. Put the screws thru the wood, just start the toggles so they can be folded and pushed thru the wall and tighten the screws. You may have to pull out slightly on a screw to get the wings to catch to tighten.

Old 05-14-16, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Paneling isn't thick enough to provide any kind of resistance to pull out. The only way i'd put screws into paneling is if I had glue behind the block of wood, like construction adhesive. So if you don't mind glue, put some liquid nails on the back of your block, spread it evenly with a notch trowel, then use the screws to just suck it tight to the wall and hold it until the glue dries... the glue is what will have the holding power. Screws alone would rip out or get loose pretty quickly.

Any kind of wood screw will work. But I would suggest you use a countersink to make a pilot hole through your block first.

Toggle bolts would work as well.

Old 05-14-16, 11:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Gotta ask - can't you move it to the left or right and screw into a stud? There should be one every 16" or at least every 24"

Old 05-14-16, 06:38 PM
G
It's going in a corner, between a door and a wall, there's only 15 inches or so between em. Plenty of other space in the room, but I don't want to be too prominently displayed.
So far I think I'm leaning toward the liquid nails technique. Any other possible options?
Thanks again!

Old 05-15-16, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
If you are ok with mounting it on a wider piece of wood you could use the studs on both sides. You might have to toe nail or screw on an angle to reach the one at the door. Otherwise adhesive and tacking it to the paneling is likely the best option.

Old 05-15-16, 01:30 PM
J
The corner itself should have studding. Why not mount it right in the corner....plenty of wood to screw into.