Need help with framing and trimming out egress window

Old 10-30-16, 07:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with framing and trimming out egress window

I have a basement egress window where the window was installed recessed from the interior of the concrete wall. I think I need to frame out flush to the outside edge of the window flange...but I am not sure how to provide support for drywall "at" the window...if that makes sense. I have attached a pic...I appreciate any help or insight. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-16, 03:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Continue your stud wall from both sides to a point flush to the framing of the window and make a sill plate on the bottom, continuing the 16" OC spacing of the studs. Do the same for the top. This way the window is surrounded by framing lumber. Once the framing is in place, you can either install wooden jamb extensions flush to the sheetrock wall, or return your sheetrock into the window and finish it accordingly using corner molding. Do something with that taped repair on the receptacle wiring, too.

Old 10-31-16, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
As Larry said, you will end up making a jamb extension for the window trim. So picture a 3/4" jamb that will slightly cover the edge of the window coming out perpendicular from the window edges to the face of the drywall. (You dont want it tight against the latch) That jamb will need to be nailed to the framing.

So a good rule of thumb might be to measure the window exactly, then make the RO in your framing 1" bigger, and make sure it is symmetrical with the window.

Old 10-31-16, 08:02 AM
T
Thanks...my confusion I think is on how to attach the jamb to the concrete. I understand it will be attached to the wood framing on the "room" end..but at the window, I only have concrete. Does that make sense? Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-31-16, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Finish your framing around window. Depending on where you want the trim to be at window frame, I would use 1X either 4 or 6 boards most likely 1 x 6 trimmed to fit. Nail trim to 2 x4, should not need nails in concrete.

Old 10-31-16, 10:47 AM
T
OK..I was just thinking that the few inches of "cantilevered" board..i.e. just attaching to the 2X4s and then extending out to but up against the window frame would be too much gap?..especially if I was to use drywall? also..since it is an egress window that it would be a definite weak spot? Again..there is no nailer for the jamb at the window flange...the window is flush with concrete. Appreciate your help!

Old 10-31-16, 11:14 AM
T
My concern is where I have the blue arrow...

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-16, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You would not want just drywall where you marked in blue. Its not durable. If the top and side jambs are drywall thats fine, but you would want a wood sill on top of any drywall on bottom.

Old 10-31-16, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would use a wooden sill and sheetrock the returns on the sides and top. You can use a 2x6 for a sill plate to jump that gap, securing it to the jacks, kings and cripples. Don't worry about it being an egress window too much. It will be used for that purpose probably only one time, and the house will be destroyed behind whoever is exiting.