Another cabinet support question

Old 12-26-16, 08:10 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another cabinet support question

I have about 13 yo cabinets installed in my garage and recently developed a need for the counter to have a little beefier support than it has now.
I was going to "frame" the front portion of the counter with one piece of 1x4 right under the counter and two pieces of 2x6 supporting it on the sides of the opening. I doubt that little brackets between two pieces of the counter can or do support anything. The floor is epoxy and still fairly slick, so I am wondering if I should use something other than wood at the bottom of my frame and glue it to the 2x4s.
Thanks!
Name:  IMG_20161226_185222.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  IMG_20161226_185201.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  13.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20161226_185154.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  18.0 KB

Old 12-27-16, 02:43 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
Sorry, not clear on your description.

You are looking to add material to the top of existing base cabinets to provide a more solid work surface?

Old 12-27-16, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could frame out the sides of the cabinets using all 1 x 4'x or all 1 x 3's, no need for 2 x lumber.
The bottom piece doesn't need glue, just secure it to the side legs, or eliminate it.

Personally I don't see a need to strengthen the top or the sides, unless it's because the side panels are resting on appliance feet and not the floor.
Since you are setting another counter over this one, the mending plates aren't a concern to me.
It's not like the new counter will sag in that area, it will be support by the cabinet sides only, not the old top.

If you have 3/4" side panels every 24" to 36", and two solid end panels, I wouldn't have a problem laying even heavy granite over these cabinets as is.

All I would do is check the feet and see if they are strong enough and add a few screws to the wall cleat at the back. If the feet are weak, then I would add the vertical supports or just shim the 3/4" side panels.

You might want to post a picture of the entire counter run.

Old 12-27-16, 07:48 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you and sorry for not being clear of what I am doing.
I am not adding another counter on top, just keeping existing counter btw. the sides are in fact resting on the appliance feet. I am mounting that green hunk of metal on top of the counter that's why I wanted to have reinforced horizontal and vertical support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: