Prep Polyurethane Coated Trim for Paint or Replace It

Old 01-06-17, 04:37 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Prep Polyurethane Coated Trim for Paint or Replace It

I am planning a flooring and trim painting project in 2 upstairs bedrooms and a short hallway. The 1 bedroom does not have baseboard, so that will definitely need to be added. The issue is, all the casings (6 doors, 4 windows) and the baseboard in bedroom 2 are coated with polyurethane. All the trim is very old and the baseboard in bedroom 2 is missing a 6 foot piece.

My question: is it worth prepping the current existing trim for paint, or would I be better off replacing the trim? I will be doing the work myself. Replacing it would also result in everything matching. The old carpeting will be removed prior to this project, if that has any bearing on opinions.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-17, 05:12 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Anything special about this molding?
What shapes the walls and ceiling in?
Any plans on installing replacement windows in the near future?
To each there own, but if there's nothing special about it and I'm rehabing an older homes I often remove and replace the trim, at least around the windows and doors on the outside walls.
Main reason is your likely to find no or poorly done insulation causing big air leaks.
Good time to also add wider window stools so the lady's have a place to set plant's, christmas candles, Ect.
Also a good time to paint the ceiling and walls so there's no cutting in needed around all the trim.
If you decide to just paint all the trim needs to be degreased, (so your not grinding in the oils and dirt into the surface below) sanded, cleaned again, primed with an oil based primmer, then two coats of paint.

Old 01-06-17, 06:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As Joe said the poly'd wood needs to be clean, scuff sanded and coated with either an oil base or pigmented shellac primer. Once dry it can be recoated with your choice of choice of enamel paint; latex, oil base or waterborne [the latter is my preference] always sand between coats.

Old 01-06-17, 07:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Given that you're missing some pieces, I would replace so it all matches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: