Does a miter saw need a dedicated stand ?

Old 03-12-17, 11:33 AM
Does a miter saw need a dedicated stand ?

I am interested in a 10in MITER saw for some DIY home projects. Question is, do I really need a MITER saw stand? The saw itself would be in my garage, I don't have any tables inside, don't really like how heavy wood tables are. Would it be okay if I just ordered: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...olors/33148259

Instead of getting a dedicated MITER saw stand? The dedicated stands seem extremely pricey...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
My miter saw sits on top of whatever I put it on. I have several small tables of which I usually use one. You will need a rubber mat to be placed between the saw and the table or it will slide around.

It cannot be allowed to slide around on top of a table.

Old 03-12-17, 11:46 AM
You could make do fine with a table like that. Make yourself a couple of blocks of the right height to support longer stock level with the table and it will work fine.

Might be a little wobbly if you are planning to cut a lot of heavy stock like long 2x8s but if you will mostly be doing trim or flooring or 2x4s it will be fine.

If after using it for a while you decide you want the convenience of a dedicated stand, you won't be out much cost or effort.

Old 03-12-17, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Any stand that brings the tool to a good working height is a great option. That table might be a bit low, but then I do not know how tall you are.

Google "portable work table" to see lots of good options.

Old 03-12-17, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have my 12" Ridgid on a gurney type rolling set up table to use on jobsites and is transported with the trailer. If it a small quick job, I use my Bosch which is without a table. I find an older Craftsman workmate works great with roller stands on either end. Watch out for the saw walking on you.

Old 03-12-17, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also have a collapsible Craftsman or B&D workmate stand and adjustable rollers for each side. I also have 4 spring loaded clamps to secure it to the stand. Same set up for over a decade and a half.

Old 03-12-17, 03:29 PM
First, go for a 12" saw unless you're considering a 10" slider, or go for what I whish I should have done 20 years ago, a 12" slider.

I started with no stand, went to a Dewalt stand (basically a big saw horse) but that was a PITA to move so a few years ago I picked up this Ridged wheeled stand.

It's awesome, saw is easy to roll out, set up, cut and when folded up it's very compact with the saw attached.

Any rolling stand is worth the cost especially with the bigger saws.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3221
Size:  16.8 KB

Old 03-13-17, 07:32 AM
Table

The table you show folds in the middle. A table with a one-piece top will work better.

Old 03-13-17, 01:54 PM
Nope, legs and wheels fold under then it wheels around like a hand truck, very solid and has extensions out each side.

Old 03-13-17, 03:00 PM
I think he was referring to the general purpose table that the OP mentioned, not your miter saw specific table.

Old 03-14-17, 07:11 AM
Table

The table you show folds in the middle. A table with a one-piece top will work better.
I was referring to the 6 foot table from Walmart referenced by the OP.

Old 03-14-17, 08:35 AM
I love my Dewalt folding aluminum stand for how light & rigid it is, and for how little space it takes up in the back of the SUV or strapped to the roof rack.
But a hollow-core door thrown across a couple plastic folding sawhorses is far cheaper and in some ways more useful (larger working surface).

Old 03-14-17, 10:08 AM
My bad, sorry!!

BTW, was wandering around Lowes last night will Son was at Lacrosse practice and they had several different types of wheeled MS stands. More choices today than when I purchased mine 3-4 years ago.

Old 03-14-17, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
I love my Dewalt folding aluminum stand for how light & rigid it is, and for how little space it takes up
Ditto. Wheels are great but I have to fit an entire shop in the back of my truck almost every day, so space is at a premium. The Dewalt stand just needs a 6" wide space in my truck bed. I don't understand how it's a PITA to move. You pick it up and carry it.

But to help answer the original question, no... you don't NEED a dedicated stand. But it sure is nice to have one. Your instructions probably just have some paragraph about making sure the saw is solidly fixed so that it doesn't move unexpectedly while cutting.

Old 03-14-17, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IF you don't expect to use the saw anywhere but in your shop/garage - it doesn't have to be a movable stand. My miter saw sets on a bench in my shop with a run out table on one side and a simple 2X4 'arm' attached to the wall on the other side to handle the longer lengths. A lot depends on how/where you intend to use the saw.