Yet another painting Kitchen Cabinets

Old 05-08-17, 08:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yet another painting Kitchen Cabinets

Have good quality wooden, birch I think, kitchen cabinets . Whole kitchen looks as if it was hand/professionally made. It's stained/varnished a darkest/goldenish brown . In France this seems a very popular colour. Over the years it had darkened with some stains . I've got the doors and draw fronts back to the bare wood and the frameworks cleaned and sanded . I wanted to still be able to see the wood grain and so planned to use primer on the doors and draw fronts , and then a water based clear protection . Problem : can't find any primer !! It's quite a few years since I bought any and of the outlets seem to be selling just 'instant' paint . Even under-coat seems to be in decline. Have tried to mix something, paint and thinner, paint and water etc., but test tries on odd bits of wood haven't given good results . Any ideas . The look I'm trying for is white/very light but clearly showing the wood grain.

Old 05-08-17, 08:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
What is it you're trying to accomplish? I don't understand why you would prime and then cover with a clear coat.

That said, I'm sorry but I have no ability to comment on what kind of paint products might be available in France.

Old 05-08-17, 08:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I also know nothing about what coatings are available in France but the odds are if you go to a real paint store [not a paint dept in a bigger store] you'll find the primer you need.

I'm also confused about your finish goal. Are you going for a white wash type finish?

Old 05-08-17, 09:18 AM
D
I'm doing a limewash effect but without the lime and longer lasting . I suppose it is a white wash finish . The primer gives a v thin white coat/look to the wood but you still 'see' the wood. The clear coat is a protection from water and general cooking spills . In the UK about 15 years I did a bathroom using this method. It looked good and stood the test of time. I've been to paint shops and no primer . Looks like modern paints have done away for the need for primer . I've test tried a special paint to give this effect but it hid too much of the wood . Tried thinning it but didn't really work either.

Old 05-08-17, 09:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
IMO the primer in the paint coatings do not take the place of a dedicated primer. I wonder if a white stain will give you the look you desire ??

Old 05-10-17, 03:24 AM
D
Thanks, good idea . Bought some . Gave it a try on spare bits of wood . Not bad, but not exactly what I'm looking for . However, will make a good plan B . If I can't get hold of any primer in the next few days at least I can move forward . Again thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: