Supporting a wall oven in a standard oven cabinet

Old 12-18-17, 12:23 PM
Supporting a wall oven in a standard oven cabinet

Hi

I have a standard oven utility cabinet and am installing a single electric wall oven into it.

The cabinet has ½” side and back walls, and a ¾” face frame. There is no solid bottom.

The manufacturer of the oven says:

“If the cabinet does not have a solid bottom, two braces or runners must be installed to support the weight of the oven. For single ovens, the runners and braces must support 200 lbs”. The diagram calls for “2" x 4" Runners Level with Bottom of Cutout and Flush with Sides of Cutout”

Does anyone know how to do this? Is there any hardware that I can use?

I was thinking of screwing in an L-Bracket into the face-frame and another to the back ½” plywood panel, and then attaching the 2x4’s on top of the braces. But will this be enough to support the weight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-17, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Do you have the old oven out ?
It's kind of hard to recommend reinforcement without seeing what's there now.
A picture or two would be a big help. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-18-17, 02:51 PM
L brackets would probably not be strong enough. I use 3/4" plywood for the shelf, supported by 1/2" plywood at the sides.

The 1/2" plywood sides are cut 3/4" lower than the bottom of the cutout and rest on the very bottom shelf or floor. Also cut the ply the full depth of the cabinet inside, usually about 23". Attach the plywood to the existing sides using screws or construction adhesive.

For the oven shelf, cut the 3/4" ply to size and drop it in... It will only be supported at the left and right by the 1/2" ply but that's good enough.

HD sells 2 x 4 plywood handy panels: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sanded-P...2108/202089019

Old 12-18-17, 03:11 PM
Hi Brian

Thanks,

"The 1/2" plywood sides . .rest on the very bottom shelf or floor".
I'll have to check if I can do this since there are drawers under the cut-out, and I don't know if I have clearance. Also if I do this, the nice finish on the inside of the cabinet will be covered with plywood.

What about a ½ strip at the sides, like a cleat?. My concern about this is that the panels are only ½” and I don’t want the weight to shear the cleat off the panel.

BTW, I was also looking at corner braces, strong ties, and angle brackets that are stronger than L-brackets

Is it better to have a shelf, or the 2x4’s running along the side? I know they also say “if there is no shelf etc.” but It seems kind of stupid to put an oven that gets so hot on a wood shelf. Just sayin’

p.s. Pjmax, this is a new installation into a standard RTA oven cabinet

Last edited by bob_bananas; 12-18-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 05:15 PM
There is no problem setting an oven on a shelf. There is already combustible material on the sides and back and that's no problem either. The oven is designed to go in a cabinet.

If your RTA cabinet is euro style with the drawer slides directly connected to the side panels, my idea of the ply sides will not work.
Please post a picture of the cabinet. If there is a horizontal rail (usually 3 - 6") that will help in the install.

Old 12-19-17, 06:14 AM
I checked and the there is room on the sides.

Someone mentioned elsewhere, that instead of the entire 1/2" plywood, that he places three furring strips ,on each side, from the floor to the shelf to support the shelf. IMO, that is less obtrusive.

I'm still trying to find the proper hardware to do the 2x4 runners w/o the shelf. However, in the end, the wood may be the best option.

BTW, per my other post, I bought a sub-panel and SER 2-2-2-4 to replace the long runs

Thanks

Old 12-19-17, 07:42 AM
I agree, strips of plywood (or furring strips) at all 4 corners is good enough. I would not use 2 x 4's, I would go with a full deck, 3/4". I've installed ovens for 18 years and that's the best way. There is no reason to keep the bottom of the oven open to the air.

Old 04-07-18, 07:23 PM
Would it be permissible to put screws through the sides of the cabinets into 2x4 runners against the inside walls? I think this is what they were recommending. I would use glue and screws. You might also be able to run the screws from inside but a 2x4 with only 1/2" purchase is not good. If there is nothing undeneath the oven at all in the cabinet, then you could settle all concerns for capacity by building a post under the oven down to the floor.