Lightening Teak Wood???

Old 05-10-01, 04:27 PM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a teak dining room set that I made 30 years ago. I have oiled it every few years and now am sick of the color (orange highlights). Is there any way that I can change the color of the wood to something lighter? Would household bleach work?

Hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-01, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bart:

Household bleach will do a little, but for a couple of bucks you can do a lot. Your local home center should have a 2 part bleach in stock. It literally comes in two containers that you mix together just before using. One chemical is sodium hydroxide, the other is hydrogen peroxide. Mixed together they provide a very strong oxidizing agent that will lighten the wood appreciably.

If, after lightening, the orange tones are still too strong, go down to your local art supply house and get the smallest tube of Thalo Green you can buy in artist oil colors. At your hardware store, pick up a quart of denatured alcohol. Pur about 1/2 inch of the tube of paint into 8 ounces of alcohol and stir until dissolved. Wipe the table down as if you were staining it (you are). The oranges and reds will be muted. Once this solution dries (about 1 hour) you can restain to get the depth of color you want in the finished product.

Old 05-11-01, 09:01 AM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Thanks George for Your Very Complete Thoughtful Response

George:
Thanks for your 2 great ideas. I didn't know where to turn to.

We all appreciate your effort and attention to the list.

Old 07-16-07, 09:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
teak wood

We deal in teak wood for bathroom products and we thing we have learned without using chemicals you can place the products out in the sun and this will lighten the boards.