Tool Recommendation For This Bracket

Old 02-08-18, 11:45 AM
Tool Recommendation For This Bracket

Please see attachment.

I am creating a bracket (at least that's what I am calling it) to mount to the wall. I am mounting 3x monitors for my office with a corner desk. I will have 2 sets of these brackets (only one pictured) so that I can mount the top screw as well for each mount.

These will be made out of 2x6s (1.5"x5.5") In the slots shown, 2x4s (1.5"x3.5") with 45 degree ends will slide into here and I will run 2 lag bolts through on the end to secure it. Lag bolts will be put in these brackets to mount to stud on other side of drywall (I haven't mapped those out yet). I have a miter saw and a reciprocating saw with wood blades currently, but nothing else. The cuts going downward seem straightforward with the rec saw, but what would you recommend for the horizontal cuts (bottom of the slots)?

Also, I planned to use blocks in between the 2x4s when running the mounts. I wanted to have that spacer to provide more of a lock, but am I overthinking this and a single 3" gap would do for doubling 2x4s?

Thanks for the advice for this novice

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-18, 12:19 PM
Use a hammer and wood chisel to shape the bottom of the slots.

Old 02-08-18, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
If you would like your cuts to be more precise, use your miter saw to make your 45s but don't go too deep, finish with a hand saw. Then yes, a chisel to clean the bottom. But be careful, the little piece between your dados will want to snap off. A single 3" dado would work fine.

Old 02-08-18, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on the weight and what your top is made of, the 45 degree supports may not even be needed. What is the size of your shelf?

Old 02-08-18, 01:31 PM
The longest 2x4 would be 36.75. There will be another one of these on top for the top lag of each mount. The monitors which are 8lbs each. A single 3" cut would be easier. Unless someone argues for stability, I think I will go with that.

Old 02-08-18, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Honestly I agree with Czizzi, I didn't realize it was so small and that it's only holding 30 lbs. I would forgo the notches and just face nail a single 2x4 to the front of it, and maybe use a piece of preformed laminate countertop as the top, cut to fit.

The important thing will be hitting the wall studs when you attach your 2x4s on each side.

Old 02-08-18, 04:48 PM
For 30 lbs you really dont need anything but the two pieces on the wall as long as you catch a couple studs.

Plywood with a trim piece along the edge will be strong enough to stand on.

Old 02-08-18, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
That brings back memories. I had done work for a temporary seasonal merchandiser and he the real props from the movies like Star Wars. Yoda and some of the others. I had made him corner shelves similar to that. I only used 2x4's. The two on the wall and a third across the front. The top was 1/2" plywood. I covered them with some laminate and they looked great. Three screws into the wall. One in each wall stud and one in the back into the corner. They were very strong.