Horizontal strip over bottom plate flushed with drywall

Old 04-10-18, 06:20 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Horizontal strip over bottom plate flushed with drywall

I have a property built in the 1970s that I have removed the existing wall board along the hallway for renovations.

I am ready to put new sheetrock on this wall which is about 14' long and 8' tall.

Upon measurements, the distance from the concrete floor (unfinished) to the bottom of the roof truss framing is 100".

The original construction placed 3" wide ceiling strips across all joists. These strips measure 1" thick, not standard 3/4". So the distance from slab to the bottom of these strips is 99".

What they also did, was to install a strip of 1X3 at the bottom of the wall, nailed to the 2X bottom plates. They then install the sheetrock sitting on top of these strips, the sheet rock is 96" the 1X3 is 2.5", so that adds up to 98.5" and that's where the top of the wall meets the ceiling rock.

The strip is 3/4" thick, they floated another 1/8" of cement/stucco materials over the 1/2" sheetrock to make everything flush.

I am trying to decide whether I should follow what they did with a 1X3 strip so I have a 14' X 96" for the sheetrock, or hang the sheetrock without the strip.

If I do not make a filler wood strip at the bottom, I will be 2.5" short if I use standard 4X8 sheet rock whether I hang them horizontal or vertical. That means I either buy extra wide sheetrock and cut them down, or cut a narrow 2.5" strip and finish the extra joints.

If I do make a filler strip at the bottom, I will need to rip 1/4" off strips of PT 1X3s so they have the same thickness as 1/2" sheetrock. Not a big deal as I have a table saw.

I am trying to understand what is are the benefits of having this horizontal wood strip? I don't think it's an afterthought because it was done all throughout the house consistently. Was it to make nailing baseboards easier it would be nailing wood to wood instead of wood through sheetrock to wood?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
They likely did it as backer for baseboard. I would skip all the goofy strips... use superwide 54x12' sheetrock for half of the wall height.