Framing in hvac ducting

Old 08-16-18, 05:11 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing in hvac ducting

We had to have an 8"x18" hvac duct run through our closet.

Previously there was a plywood shelf sitting on the ledger and below that a hanging rod. See attached images.

I'm going cut an 8x18" notch out the shelf to go around the ducting and hang the rod as before.

I'm planning on making lemonade out of lemons by setting shoes onto the horizontal part of the hvac duct.

My question is what is the best way to "frame in" the ducting?

I'd like to minimize the space taken up. I was pondering if I could box it in with 1/2" plywood right up against the ducting. Nail the pieces together to form a 90 degree. Around the horizontal hvac run I could toe nail into the studs and wood floor but I'm not entirely sure the best way to secure the vertical.

Screwing sheetrock directly to the duct is a bad idea, temp changes will rust the screws plus I just don't like the idea of putting holes into the duct.

The only other other way I can think of is to construct some kind of wood frame around the ducting out of say 1x2 and then sheetrock or plywood onto that but as I said, I was hoping to take up as little space as possible as the duct has already eaten up a chunk.

Advice greatly welcomed. If there is a better forum here, please feel free to move.

Attached Images     
Old 08-16-18, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Many times I've seen the ductwork just painted to minimize the room that a box would take up. You'd need to seal the ductwork where it goes thru the walls.

You shouldn't need shoes on the ductwork. Just piece in what's missing on the wall.

Old 08-16-18, 07:35 PM
D
I don't want to paint the ductwork. Also "shoes" as in the things you wear on your feet. I'm going to use the horizontal surface to put shoes onto.

Old 08-16-18, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would probably mount a 2x2 on the wall next to the duct. Nothing should really contact the duct or it can cause noise when it expands and contracts. You can attach one piece of drywall to the 2x2 on the left side... make the drywall long enough that you can screw another 2x2 onto the back side (right side) of that same piece of drywall. That 2x2 should line up with the 2x2 you put on the wall on the right side of the ductwork.

You would use a similar method for the horizontal run.

When you go to tape the corners, I would use the type of corner bead that just gets mudded on... either vinyl or paper.

Old 08-16-18, 10:00 PM
D
XSleeper. Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I'd considered similar.

Old 08-17-18, 09:12 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I'd use both recommendations.

Paint the duct then install shelves around and skip the drywall all together!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: