mantle height from floor. what is the norm?

Old 09-22-18, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mantle height from floor. what is the norm?

what is the norm range for how high off the floor a mantle should be? not asking how far above the fireplace opening. I have heard 54". is that 54" to underside of mantle or to the top of mantle? I want to lower it some. I know some of it is preference but I have to sell some day and dont want it too low.

we are mounting a TV over the fireplace. there is no other place in the room to do it, so that decision is made.

even though it will be tilted slightly down, and we sit 12' away, we are planning to drop the mantle a few (4-6) inches to help with viewing angles

there is plenty of clearance above the firebox to the mantle today and would be even if we dropped it 10 inches. when I read "design" sites it says that 54" is standard height. is that 54" to underside of mantle or to the top of mantle?

our ceilings are 9'. the mantle today is wood and is right at about 58" off ground to the top of mantle; 55" to underside. the new mantle will be marble and 6-8" deep if anyone has that concern. I am thinking 50" to the underside and 52" to the top. sound fair?

Pics (as is) attached. blue tape is where TV would be if we didn't adjust the mantle.
thanks

Name:  fp.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  68.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-22-18 at 02:28 PM. Reason: enlarged/enhanced picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-18, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
I see the dogs are at home and quite comfortable.

A mantle doesn't have to got at any set height.
One advantage with a mantle in your case is to keep the direct heat from the front of the TV screen.