Fixing uneven windows

Old 10-05-18, 03:13 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixing uneven windows

I brought this home new in 2001. Back then I was very limited on my carpentry knowledge. Now it is okay but not at all a pro. Anyway some of the home was unfinish. So I have been trying to finish the office. I'm almost done, but I just got to the windows. I only needed to do the trimming finishing work. The problem is the window was not level or center within the opening. One side is 1/4" closer to the inside than the other side. I was planning to make everything in a wood finish since I have already finish the rest of the room in a wood finish. So how should I proceed?

Old 10-05-18, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Depends. Do you still need to build an extension jamb to make the jamb flush with the drywall? Or is it already flush with the drywall except for the one corner that is 1/4" too far in?

Old 10-06-18, 06:44 AM
R
I still need the extension jambs...one would have to be thinner to fit but longer to fit to the drywall. Maybe planning the wood?

Old 10-06-18, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
It's not too hard to cut a taper on an extension jamb if needed. They don't need to be perfectly flush with the drywall but 1/8 is better than 1/4. Check to make sure you can't yank the window in tighter (before it's foamed or insulated) because the fin is somewhat flexible.

As for the width? You would probably rip it on a table saw if you need it to be 5/8 thick. I'm assuming you mean the window is tight to one side and that you don't have enough reveal unless you rip the jamb so it's more thin.

Old 10-07-18, 02:28 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Window frame not usually centered in rough opening due to shimming to get the frame level horizontally and somewhat centered. The vertical plumb (level) is dictated by the built in nailing strips on the frame. The strips are nailed tightly to the outside sheathing so there is no shimming involved. The inside drywall should be parallel with the outside sheathing. So, is your level problem horizontal, vertical or both

Old 10-07-18, 04:05 AM
R
Both Horizontal and vertical have an issue.

Old 10-07-18, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
There is no way to correct horizontal (level) or vertical (plumb) without removing and reinstalling the window. If it isn't that far off I would leave it. Otherwise, you know what to do.

additionally, you don't rely on a nailing fin to hold a window in place and it does not take the place of shims. You always shim a window according to mfg directions.

Old 10-17-18, 04:39 PM
R
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: