New hand rail with a twist

Old 12-09-18, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New hand rail with a twist

We have a long stair case between floors. The old hand rail ran down the wall and stopped at the bottom but did NOT extend around the bottom step that extends around the end and has a curve.

We're replacing the old hand rail with a new one that we would LIKE to have go all the way down and around. I have the railing and I have the curved piece for the bottom. My problem is how to join them so the ANGLE is perfect and the two ends being joined match up perfectly. Here's what the curved piece looks like:

I THINK if I lay the hand rail on the stairs and let it extend to the floor, then lay the curved piece for the end on the floor I SHOULD be able to mark where the two pieces are the same height, which (in theory) SHOULD mean they'd match perfectly when I cut them. But I'd like to know the PROPER way to do this so the angle between the cure and the hand rail is perfect so the curved end doesn't go up or downhill, AND the two pieces fit together perfectly...

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-18, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
I'll send you a private message.

Old 12-10-18, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I watched the video in the link I received... MUCH less painful than I thought it would be.

I went out and looked for rail bolts (I'd never heard of them) and found a variety. Including something called a "zipbolt" that instead of having a nut threaded on the end of the stud, just dropped into the hole in the rail and was tightened using a hex wrench. It LOOKS far easier than the older method, BUT I can't see how the zip bolt would pull the two rail pieces together. With the old not-on-stud rail bolt, the two rail pieces are pulled together when the nut is tightened, the glue sets, and voila... How does the Zipbolt do that? or does it not and you have to find some other way to hold things tight enough not to end up with a gap?

Old 12-10-18, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Can't speak for any other method... I only use the L.J. Smith rail bolts. But you need their special box wrench.

If you have some other product I'm sure they have their own YouTube video you can google.