Crown Moulding Gap to Ceiling -up to 3/4"

Old 04-11-19, 09:17 AM
Crown Moulding Gap to Ceiling -up to 3/4"

Hi everyone,

I'm having my kitchen renovated. The contractor noticed my ceiling is a bit off in a spot. There would be a gap between the top of the crown and the ceiling. From the part where it's flush, a gap starts which progresses up to ~ 3/4" in a spot. It's about a three foot stretch of crown. He had some suggestions that I did not like; manipulate (twist) the crown to reach the ceiling; bury part of the crown into the sheetrock; or just make it flush to the top of the cabinet and leave the gap; I chose the last option. I asked if we could fill the gap either with a shim or with a skim coat or caulk; he didn't seem confident; so I am wondering how some on here dealt with it.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-19, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
With that much gap I tend to split the difference to try and conceal the fault as much as possible. Sometimes there isn't much you can do without a great deal of work/expense and you have to live with a gap.

Old 04-11-19, 10:19 AM
That is a lot of gap!

Any band aid like caulk will come back and bite you, eventually it will crack and split.

What needs to happen is additional trim installed on the ceiling that will allow a 3rd piece of trim to bridge the gap between the ceiling trim and crown.

Or some repair work to the ceiling to level out!

Old 04-11-19, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Levelling the ceiling is best but that is a lot. You could get a Drywaller finisher to use hot mud to float the ceiling out.

Old 04-11-19, 03:26 PM
Thought about this after posting, if it's actually 3/4 I'd get my level, outline the area, glue and screw some 5/8 drywall then start floating out the area till level!

Old 04-11-19, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
If he was going to do that Marq, he would probably want to use layers of 1/4" drywall and double it up where it's 1/2" - 3/4". So that you're never floating more than 1/4" of mud anywhere. That would be a reasonable fix.