New vanity installed, can see screws

Old 05-17-19, 09:14 AM
New vanity installed, can see screws

Contractor put this bathroom vanity in and I can see the screws on both sides and also when looking from the top/sink

He said he had to install the screws on the sides and not at the back.
Anyway to fix/hide?

I don't think a cabinet filler panel is readily available for this vanity (alya 56 light oak).
What about the sink view?

Name:  cab1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  cab2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  cab3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-17-19 at 11:21 AM. Reason: imported/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-19, 09:20 AM
I think I'm seeing a vanity that is not flush with the wall?

Old 05-17-19, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Closeups don't really give us the big picture, which would help us understand what is going on there. Back up and try again.

Old 05-17-19, 12:24 PM
Here is an overall picture
there is about an inch space on both sides

Name:  cab4.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  87.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-17-19 at 02:16 PM. Reason: imported picture
Old 05-17-19, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like they put in a prefinished unit with countertop instead of a cabinet with a custom fit countertop. They should still be able to put the screws in the back.

It will be pretty tough to keep the water from sloshing down the wall too.
Hmmmm...... maybe a tile backsplash is in your future.

Old 05-17-19, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
I dont know why he put screws through the sides at all, it doesn't need them! Is this something you found/bought and the contractor is installing it for you? If so, I think I know who is to blame for this poor planning. Those side walls will be real fun to paint someday.

Remove the side screws, the cabinets should have been attached through the back before the sink got dropped in.

Old 05-17-19, 03:55 PM
Yes I purchase the vanity myself. Wall to wall it's approx 58.5 inches and I couldn't find a vanity to fit, so this vanity is 56.5 inches

There actually used to be a door where the back wall of the vanity is now, they ripped up the wall and rerouted the plumbing.

Is it my fault? I don't understand

Sink is not attached yet

Old 05-17-19, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
You found a pretty close to needed size unit. It's your fault that it doesn't fit tight. It's the installers.... negligence... for putting screws into the sides. It's not a problem to remove the side screws and put them into the back.

If it's just you and your spouse..... you could leave it as it is. If you have kids..... the walls are going to be tough to keep clean and dry. Now might be the time to consider a backsplash along the sides and the back.

marksr liked this post.
Old 05-17-19, 06:17 PM
You bought a free standing bedroom cabinet to be used as a vanity sink cabinet. If it was me, I would take off the legs and build a 3 inch high toe kick. Fill the sides with wood strips and caulk all around the cabinet. Your installer should never have agreed to install this in a bathroom. That's like asking a plumber or electrician to purposely install an item wrong. You just don't have the consequences involved.

What you can and should do is remove it and re-purpose it for something else. Then buy a vanity that is smaller than the opening, since you can't find one that fits exactly, and add side fillers to each side.

Or as PJ says plan on having backsplashes on all three sides. As it stands now it looks unfinished and out of place. Sorry I don't mean to be so blunt, but I'm calling it as I see it.

Old 05-17-19, 06:20 PM
Judging by your floor, it looks like you have a beautiful room. I would have them remove that and have a cabinet company in to custom build you one that actually fits. It will cost you a lot more money upfront, but it will look much better in the future if you plan on keeping the house.

Old 05-17-19, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Norm... it IS a modern bath vanity, not something for a bedroom. The main problem here is that this one was meant to be in a bigger room... on a longer wall... not squeezed into a tiny one.

As mentioned, a custom unit that had side fillers along with a custom top that goes from wall to wall would have been better in that space.

Old 05-17-19, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all of the responses thus far. We are doing a whole bathroom remodel, contractor hasn't done any of the work except maybe assisted in demo. He gets all of his other workers to do the work, so we are definitely paying a middle man.

One other thing I argued with him was that the toilet flange needs to be above the finished floor, it is 3/4" below the tile and another one is flush. I also asked about grout sealer and he said I would have to pay extra for it.

We are paying about $7k for the following:

Bathtub/shower removed, walk-in shower installed with glass doors, new toilet and sewer line added (none before), door turned into wall (used to lead to the only toilet). Floor tiled, as well as shower walls. New double sink vanity (used to be single sink in the adjacent wall).

So we don't really have any more $ to spend, but want to make it look as good as we can.

We ordered the vanity through a 3rd party on Amazon, and the delivery took a month longer than expected. It is also supposed to come with a matching mirror but there no sign of that and we keep getting the run around on delivery. Not sure if I can return it (vanity and sink) without penalty but it would be nice.

Old 05-17-19, 08:35 PM
Pjmax or anyone else any suggestions for an inexpensive backsplash for the sides and back

Old 05-18-19, 03:46 AM
One other thing I argued with him was that the toilet flange needs to be above the finished floor, it is 3/4" below the tile and another one is flush.
Flanges should be even with floor. Quarter inch above or below is fine. 3/4 is a bit much, but should be OK. Might need to use two wax rings.

Old 05-18-19, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also asked about grout sealer and he said I would have to pay extra for it.
You might want to consider applying the grout sealer yourself, it's not a difficult job. Just keep a rag or two handy to clean any excess off of the tile. If I remember correctly the grout is supposed to cure for 72 hrs before it gets sealed.

Old 05-18-19, 08:18 AM
What about moving the vanity to one corner, that way there is a 2 inch gap on one side and none on the other.

Would that make it look better or worse?

I was thinking of adding this tile on as a backsplash, say 1ft height and all the way around (5ft back and about 20in on the sides)
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/094671/094671008533lg.jpg

Old 05-18-19, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Tile is good but by itself it's not thick enough. You need to fill in 1" on either side. One thing that came to mind was Azek. It's a composition product that is completely waterproof and easy to clean. It comes in 1" thick x 5" wide and up to 12".

Old 05-18-19, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
I think I'd get a thick cultured polished stone that matches and use that as a backsplash. I dont think I'd want an Azek backsplash, it would need paint. Although I thought about it briefly too.

Keep sink centered and have the side splashes notched to slip over and overlap the front edge 1" or so... hiding the fact that the sink doesnt reach to the wall on either side.

About any custom countertop/granite company could do that for you if they template it.

Old 05-20-19, 11:02 AM
two wax rings used in the toilet, when i sit on it the toilet it seems fine, but when i get up, it moves a bit (like the toilet is stuck to me and moves up). can't really explain it better than that. any suggestions? is it still settling in place?

Old 05-20-19, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
The toilet should not rock or move at all when someone sits or gets up. Bolts are either not tight or the flange is too high. Or it could need a few shims.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Bolts are tight apparently, handyman said problem with the flange and said the only fix is to glue the toilet. I'm assuming he means silicon.

Is there a better way? Flange sits 3/4" below tile (maybe 1"). Should I get them to put the flange extender in?

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, get a flange extender... be sure it gets siliconed down onto the flange... old flange will need to be cleaned up and wiped with acetone to get the wax off before caulking extender on.