removing top bottom wood trim from cabinet door

Old 08-04-19, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing top bottom wood trim from cabinet door

Trying to reface my kitchen cabinets. The plan is to add molding strip on four sides to give it a modern look. Found a thin molding strip that i am planning to use.
similar to this youtube video, except in the video, they are using wood i am planning to use molding strip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxu0l0Drozo&t=13s

I am trying to remove top and bottom trim from my door and add a square piece of wood in the same spot to keep the same length otherwise it is shorter for the cabinet. then make the whole thing look like one piece with wood putty and sanding.

please let me know how to remove the top and bottom piece, it is nailed in and also please let me know if i am on the right track in trying to do this.

here are general steps i am following, please correct me if i am going wrong with this project
1. remove all cabinet doors, remove top and bottom trim piece. add equal size trim wood, put wood putty, put de glosser and sand.
2. put molding strip on four sides with liquid nail/wood glue and paint.
3. do on all doors, and sand and paint cabinets and then put the doors back

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  23.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-05-19 at 09:53 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-19, 10:53 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
Taking one item at a time, if your trying to remove that trim piece it's going to need to be cut off and I would recommend a table saw so that you have a nice clean cut to work with!

Old 08-07-19, 07:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I was wanting to reface and make my cabinets more modern I won't be redoing the doors I have now unless I was just wanting to paint them a different color. You can save yourself a lot of time and frustration by just buying new doors. It would be much easier to do that than trying to remove pieces and attach new ones. I know a few people that have replaced their cabinet doors and drawer fronts at a reasonable price. I believe they found them on Amazon and were highly satisfied with the quality of the doors.