Hinge getting loose and coming off.

Old 08-29-19, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hinge getting loose and coming off.

1st picture: bottom hinge got loose so I took it off.
2nd picture: is a close up of the hinge.
3rd picture: is taken when the door is closed.
4th picture: both hinges were taken off for this door .
5th picture: both hinges is starting to get loose.
6th and 7th picture: when I open the hinge I feel the spring is pretty tight, and it's pulling tightly into the cupboard.

The cupboard has been used for about 2 years. I feel the hinge is pulling tightly into the cupboard when I open the door. That could be the reason why the hinge is getting loose from the door.

Is there a way to remove the spring so it would stop pulling tightly when I open the door. And what can I do to fix the loose screw hole?

Attached Images        
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-19, 01:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
That's melamine/particle board for you. You likely have a few options... you could make a jig (for drilling precisely located oversized 8mm holes directly into the old hole locations) which then get a plastic dowel repair kit (the screws then go into that plastic insert). They also make a wood plug repair kit.

Or, just fill those holes with 3 toothpicks and wood glue or you could try to epoxy redrill them. (Being careful to drill no more than 1/2" deep by using a stop collar on your drill bit.) You also need to not spin the screws once they are tight, because if you do, they are stripped and won't hold. Tightening by hand is best.

Old 08-30-19, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
I would do the toothpicks first. The only difference I would do is use wooden matches with wood glue. I always jam as many as I can get into hole.